SSI AOW versus Deep diving speciality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDI Advanced Diver minimum requirements:
  • Complete four SDI, TDI, or ERDI Specialty Diver courses or equivalent; only 1 course without dives, may be credited towards the SDI Advanced Diver development program, with the exception of SDI Computer Nitrox

this confuses me a little. I’m sdi OW and NASE Nitrox. so does my nitrox already count as one specialty towards my sdi advanced? So basically I would need 3 more with dives?

as i understand the requirements.....yes

Cool to see such discussion after my noob question. Thank you all for answering...really can't wait for spring and start my journey and get my feet (and the rest) wet!

@Pat85

Not exactly answering your question, but I strongly recommend for any deep course, the contents of this article should be thoroughly discussed: Alert Diver | Performance Under Pressure. Not all instructors will understand it however, so you'll need to do some vetting. Good luck with meeting all your goals.

Thanks, will definitely look into it!

If the history and science interest you, I can't recommend Deco for Divers enough. It's by Mark Powell, and if you're interested in technical diving he has a book about that too.

I just started the book last weekend! Nice and interesting read...probably even better when reading it again after certification :)

As a follow up, my my local dive centre offered the following specialties as a package route to AOW. Navigation, Perfect Buoyancy, Deep and Night/Limited visibility. I am going to take these, since there are all very useful skills and very usable here.
Downloaded the full Science of Diving program when it was free, so have the reduces price theory class and test this fall.
No need yet for the dry suit, let's see how the water feels later this year. Might go for nitrox first.

It is an addictive hobby for sure. Thank you all for the advise and discussion so far!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom