Ssi advanced open water vs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty much. Deep and underwater nav are required for AOW, night dive isn't a required one for PADI AOW though.

I've been doing some reading, and although it's hard to peice a picture of the course standards are, it seems one can receive a SSI AOW without taking Underwater Navigation or Deep. This makes me wonder if it meets the requirements for for "advanced" dives from a dive op.

It isn't like taking five specialties, including Nav and Deep, and having the first dive of each meeting the qualifications for AOW (AA) after the fact. For SSI AOW one could choose Equipment Techniques, Shark Diving, Boat Diving, and Nitrox according to one SSI shop.

Of course, it's all about the name. I would however, be interested what would happen in the case of an accident on a deep dive if the dive operation's insurance found the diver had an AOW card but a reccomended limit of 60'.

I'm sure some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob

I agree, Bob. I read the standards the same way that you do. Take it even farther and consider that the SSI AOW diver that you described could then make 26 more dives and take Stress and Rescue would earn the rank of Master Scuba Diver.

I've been doing some reading, and although it's hard to peice a picture of the course standards are, it seems one can receive a SSI AOW without taking Underwater Navigation or Deep. This makes me wonder if it meets the requirements for for "advanced" dives from a dive op.

It isn't like taking five specialties, including Nav and Deep, and having the first dive of each meeting the qualifications for AOW (AA) after the fact. For SSI AOW one could choose Equipment Techniques, Shark Diving, Boat Diving, and Nitrox according to one SSI shop.

Of course, it's all about the name. I would however, be interested what would happen in the case of an accident on a deep dive if the dive operation's insurance found the diver had an AOW card but a reccomended limit of 60'.

I'm sure some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob

So you only need the Adventure Diver certification, which is a certification almost no one gets. It is primarily there because junior divers cannot get AOW because they cannot do the deep dive.

Actually... Junior divers can get AOW. PADI has a Juinor AOW cert. The Deep Dive has to be deeper than 60 feet; Junior divers 12 to 14 yrs old are allowed (by PADI standards) to a max of 70 feet.

My 14 year old niece completed her Junior AOW this past summer in Key Largo with a deep dive to 70 feet. Ironically, she had already completed several ~100 ft dives in the Caribbean over the previous couple years. Standards are a little different down there.

My SSI AOW card had spots for the instructor to write the specific classes taken. Not sure if that is still the case. A boat could insist on deep being among them.

Hi guys,
Found this thread and was hoping someone could help.
Am SSI Advanced Adventurer but there are not alot of SSI shops, or sometimes my preferred shop would be PADI. Would dives taken as Advanced Adventurer count towards a PADI Specialty? For example, could my SSI Deep Dive count towards a PADI Deep dive for Specialty?
Thanks for your time..

Hi guys,
Found this thread and was hoping someone could help.
Am SSI Advanced Adventurer but there are not alot of SSI shops, or sometimes my preferred shop would be PADI. Would dives taken as Advanced Adventurer count towards a PADI Specialty? For example, could my SSI Deep Dive count towards a PADI Deep dive for Specialty?
Thanks for your time..
They would not.

very interesting
then i apologize to the op for a misleading response.
i must have been "mislead" myself. i was told by more than one padi shop that the advanced open water course was a prerequisite to move further. i hold the padi adv diver cert. this was a number of years ago. maybe the standards have changed ? or maybe i was just mislead unintentionally
thx for clarifying bob

I was told the same thing. I specifically said to a few PADI instructors that I would rather skip advance open water and just do the Deep certification class. I was told I couldn't take the certification class until I took AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom