SSC P7 SXO or SWO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bevansmw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just curious if anyone with any info could help a little. Would it be better to use a SXO or SWO tint P7 emitter for a dive light?

The SWO is closer to white and yellow on the spectrum whereas the SXO is closer to blue/greens.

I'm thinking the SXO may penetrate the water better but not sure ... just curious if anyone is familiar and which would be better for a dive light.

Thanks.

I have whatever P7 you get off of Dealextreme. It's white with a touch of yellow so I guess it's the SWO. It works great in the water...The problem more important than the color temp is getting the P7 to focus tightly.

My backups are the Intova LEDS and those range from light blue to greenish tints. I like the color a little better on these in the water.

I guess it would be preference mostly. I do prefer higher color temps.

I wouldnt sweat it too much unless you plan on building a camera/video light.

In water I doubt you will notice the difference. But there is a theory that a bluer tint will penetrate blue water better and a greener tint will penetrate green water better.
A warmer tint ( with more red in it) will get absorbed by the water sooner.

I wouldnt sweat it too much unless you plan on building a camera/video light.

In water I doubt you will notice the difference. But there is a theory that a bluer tint will penetrate blue water better and a greener tint will penetrate green water better.
A warmer tint ( with more red in it) will get absorbed by the water sooner.

Do you have a link to any info on this theory or an explanation of it?

I would have thought that nothing would penetrate any better than a white light which of course has all of the color spectrum in it.

No link.
But its the same as sunlight penetrating the water. Red is the 1st to go and blue is the last.
There for a light that is warmer( more red) will get absorbed sooner than a light that is cooler( blue).

If we take that to the extreme and have a white light with 1000 lumen vs a blue light with 1000 lumen the blue will penetrate further because the white light probably only has 200lumen of blue light ( If you can measure it like that).
Anyway as I said its a theory and untested by my self but it does seem to have some logic behind it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom