SS1 BC Compatibility list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericdube

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The only information I can find about SS1 BC compatibility is this short blurb that found on the net:

"Compatible with all BC's except by Cressi, Mares, and TUSA models with the A.P.A. Active Purge Assist inflator system"

Is there a more updated list somewhere? Any known issues with mating to a Scubapro or Oceanic BC? Thanks.

I used one for years on my Oceanic. You have to get the right hose. The SS1 comes with three different hose adapters that allow it to mate up with different BCs. Some are more appropriate than others, like the ScubaPro Classic might not be appropriate because the inflator hose attaches on the front of the jacket, so you would need a extra short corrugated hose which might not reach your mouth in the event you need to use the SS1 as an alternate air source.

It specifically doesn't work with those BC's listed because they don't use a corregated hose with shoulder dump. They use some kind of magik system to get air in and out of the BC. I'm sure it works, but I don't know how.

the APA is because the inflator mechanism actually uses air to activate the exhaust valves, very weird design, but whatever.

All of the rest of them use standard corrugated hoses and the SS1 has different adapters depending on the mating ID of said corrugated hose, just pick the right one and follow directions.

I.e. if you have a normal inflator setup it will work fine, if you have one of the new strange ones they are using to make money off of a pointless system, then you're SoL. Atomic was nice enough to make the system with adapters so you can swap it around if you want to/have to and I'm not aware of any Scubapro or Oceanic BC's using weird funky inflator systems.

Thanks. I'm specifically looking to mate the SS1 with an Oceanic Excursion 2 (for my cold water diving.) I thought it should work, but it's got that new ergonomic corrugated hose ending on it so I wasn't sure if I would have to replace the hose or not.

I've also been tossing around the idea of getting a (warm water) travel BC as well (I was leaning towards the Cressi Air Travel 2.0 BC, but in light of this compatibility issue I've been exploring other options to cut down on packing.)

should be fine. If you're getting a warm water travel rig seriously consider a BP/W, they are much easier to travel with than most make them out to be, and if you do that, the easiest thing would be to actually swap the whole corrugated hose assembly over to each rig, they are mostly universal in their attachment flanges on the wing, so you should be able to do that instead of risking damage to the hose by removing on a semi regular basis.

should be fine. If you're getting a warm water travel rig seriously consider a BP/W, they are much easier to travel with than most make them out to be, and if you do that, the easiest thing would be to actually swap the whole corrugated hose assembly over to each rig, they are mostly universal in their attachment flanges on the wing, so you should be able to do that instead of risking damage to the hose by removing on a semi regular basis.

I looked at the Hollis Harness, Backplate and Wing, but I found it really difficult to adjust and not very comfortable on my back. However, I assume there must be better options. What would you suggestions for travel?

As for disconnecting the hose, I know what you mean by disconnecting from the bladder side. Couldn't the same be done at the SS1 side? I thought that also screws together or is that more difficult? (Sorry for all the questions since I'm still fairly new to Scuba and thanks again!)

My doubles rig is an AL backplate and wing, my singles rig is a SS backplate and wing, and my travel rig is a plastic backplate and wing. I use the same SS1 and corregated hose on all, and I use a Dive Rite transplate harness on all of them. You might like the transplate, it's really comfy with padded shoulders and nice cunberbun.

if you're wearing it directly against your back you might want to look at some of the back pads that are commercially available. The harnesses are not the easiest to adjust, but the nice thing is that once they are adjusted, you don't have to change them unless you put on a drastically different piece of exposure protection. I.e. you have it set for diving without exposure protection or with a 3mm, then go to a drysuit. You'll have to lengthen some of the straps there, but it is a set it and forget it type of system. The transpac may be worth looking at as well, that is what I use because I don't need extra weight in backmount and dive sidemount most of the time, so it works well for me. The Transplate is awesome if you are regularly diving without a wetsuit though since the webbing can dig into your skin pretty badly without padding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom