• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

SS vs ALU + V weight backplate

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by Danielk, Jul 16, 2019.

1. rongoodman

rongoodman ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Congratulations, you've made yourself a P-weight. (Does anyone know what the "P" stands for?)

2. saxman242

saxman242 Divemaster Candidate

Ok, yes, technically it's a plate weight, but that doesn't seem to be an important differentiation to what the real root of what the OP is trying to achieve. The relevant point was that one can put a reasonably sized weight in the BP channel.

3. rongoodman

rongoodman ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Yes, but a V-weight isn't the right shape to fit there. Tell me you want this laying along your spine:

IMG_1057.jpg

4. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    For OP's purpose, V weight won't work. He/she is trying to bring a lighter plate and use weight at destination. Casting a weight that fit the plate and to bring it alone totally defeated the purpose.

5. Fyffer

Fyffer Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Make a p weight

Attached Files:

6. Danielk

Danielk Angel Fish

I think I'll go with the SS backplate. Since the majority of my dives are local, the SS will allow me to remove some weight from my weight belt (or the pockets on the harness). For traveling, I think that 2 additional Kg will not kill me :).
    And in the worst case scenario, my wife will have to settle for less cloths :wink:

Another consideration is that a generic ALU packplate can be bought on eBay for cheap (about 60$) with free shipping from China (it is just a piece of metal, what can go wrong, right?)
    Here is an example:
    Diving Aluminum Backplate Underwater Scuba Snorkeling Back Harness System | eBay

Another option, is to what this guy did (will definitely try this):

7. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

There is a soft bag that's sort of workable, but you need to fill it with shot. I haven't seen that as an option at any destinations. It wouldn't be so bad on the spine, but it also doesn't hold much weight: it'll compensate for the difference between Al and SS plates, but that's about it.

8. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

it can be at least 5# (I use one for my doubles)....

thing is, you still need a way to then integrate the cam band straps....

maybe it is a way to make an aluminum (bought for warm water) work for cold water.

non-starter for travel as you need a source of loose lead shot when you get there.....

9. happy-diver

happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    dudes and dudesses, see the weight on the plate

full.jpg

just use the plate holes and drill a couple more in your aluminium

for to cable tie a couple of belt weights on at your destination man