SS vs ALU + V weight backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danielk

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I mostly dive locally but I also travel from time to time with my gear.
What, in your opinion would be the best solution:

To buy a ss backplate and take it with me when traveling (good for local dives but, adds an additional weight to the luggage)

Or

Getting an ALU backplate and to use a V weight locally and a weight belt while traveling?

ALU backplate and add weight when needed.

V-WEIGHT / Weight pockets for the backplate / trim pouches (depending how much weight you use) / weight belt .

I would go with Weight pockets for the backplate, weighs nothing and can use any weight you want.

V-weights work with doubles, not single tanks. You can buy a weighted STA if you want, but P-weights seem to be hard to find, at least in the US. If you need the weight, just buy a SS plate and take it with you. They're not that heavy and things will be less complicated.

I think we usually over analysis SS vs AL back plate. The weight difference is really about 3.5lb, such small difference. When in doubt, get the AL because you can always add weight to where you want them. You can not subtract or move weight of the plate

A wise man recently said “both”, it really can be the best solution. If you use vastly different exposure protection, like drysuit to rash guard it will save on adjusting things plus the travel rig can usually use a smaller less bulky wing and fewer weight pockets. If you are sure about only 1 I would go SS because it may handle most of the weight need, the travel weight difference is small but sometimes it means leaving 3 pounds of stuff you want behind to make weight restrictions.

Why can't I attache the weight in the middle of the BP using two bolts?

Only if you intend to use a STA (and can they play together?). Cam bands go through that channel in the plate.

Why can't I attache the weight in the middle of the BP using two bolts?
The bolts would be sticking into your back. There isn't enough room in the BP channel for a V-weight, that's where the bolts go. A V-weight goes between a set of doubles and the plate.

The bolts would be sticking into your back. There isn't enough room in the BP channel for a V-weight, that's where the bolts go. A V-weight goes between a set of doubles and the plate.
I have a 5-6 lbs weight there. Works great. I did have to cast it myself though. When I did, I cast threaded inserts into the lead weight. Drilled two holes in the backplate, and I just bolt the weight on before I put my wing/STA on.

It does block off the slots for tank webbing though, so an STA is a must.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom