SS or Al backplate for wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jn100

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, new member here with a question. Please note that I do not have much experience of diving, although I have passed my AOW. So my question is regarding what backplate I should get. I plan on recreational diving only with a single cylinder in UK waters, so likely will be using a drysuit. Ive been looking at bc's and like the halcyon Infinity, but not sure if I need a steel or ali backplate. As you probably notice from my question im a complete novice. Could someone please explain to me the differences between the two, and why/where they are used ect.

From looking online im under the assumption I should get a steel backplate because it heavier, and the extra weight of a steel backplate will save my having the load up my belt with lead. Is this correct ? Thanks all

For UK diving a SS plate is tough to beat imo. I use SS for everything though. Only drawback for me is travel weight but for a dive specific vacation the weight penalty is worth it to me. I own an AL plate but it has yet to be used in the last 12 years and I doubt I ever will. SS is a better choice for me.

For UK diving a SS plate is tough to beat imo. I use SS for everything though. Only drawback for me is travel weight but for a dive specific vacation the weight penalty is worth it to me. I own an AL plate but it has yet to be used in the last 12 years and I doubt I ever will. SS is a better choice for me.
Thanks for the reply, are ali backplates better for warmer waters then ?

only for the few places where it is warm water and they actually use steel tanks like malta in the summer. for most places where they stick you with an al80, the ss plate works nicely to offset the buoyancy of the tank. i do use an aluminum plate if I am only packing carryon and hitting the weight limit.

only for the few places where it is warm water and they actually use steel tanks like malta in the summer. for most places where they stick you with an al80, the ss plate works nicely to offset the buoyancy of the tank. i do use an aluminum plate if I am only packing carryon and hitting the weight limit.

In Greece, they tend to use steel tanks as well (never seen aluminum but I haven't been at every single dive op). not sure about the rest of the Med, but steel tanks seem to be a trend.

IMO the aluminum plate is primarily only better for travel weight when the airline has luggage weight restrictions. Given the choice I use SS for all my diving.

Depends on how much weight you carry in warm water: if you go with the heaviest tank and still need a few pounds, steel may be a better option.

I only recently started using a SS backplate and integrated weights and I like not having to wear a weight belt. Even in warm water I still wear a 2.5mm full suit and need 17 pounds of lead with an AL80 tank. My trim seems to be better with some of the weight on my back and the rest of it up a little higher than it was with it all on a weight belt. My SS plate weighs about 5.5 pounds out of the water but reads only about 4 pounds in the water (with a digital scale) so I've been calling it four pounds but I think I'm a bit overweighted because I still have a little air in my wing at the 15' safety stop. I put it in a checked bag because I thought TSA might consider it a weapon so I didn't try it in my carry-on yet. Having said all of this, I have an old plastic backpack that I'm going to fill with lead shot and try that instead of a SS plate and harness. It will be more compact, probably won't pose a threat to TSA, has built-in handles, less bulky straps, and does not need a crack strap. I think I will be able to easily add integrated weights. I'm always under my weight limit on my carry-on so 6-8 pounds of lead shot should work for me.

Back
Top Bottom