SS Mohawk 11/9/03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrekdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, everybody, I did make it out this weekend...

We headed out on the Outlaw on Sunday in 3' seas and headed for the Ida K...unfortunately, someone was there fishing so we headed back to one of the local favorites...The Mohawk.

For those who have never heard of it...

http://www.njscuba.com/articles/mohawk_dive_journal.html

Capt Bob put us right next to one of the boilers. Water temp was a balmy 57 compared to the 40 degree air temps. Visibility had to be close to 40'. Diving the Mohawk regularly over the years, I don't remember ever seeing 40' of anything on the Mohawk.

After digging out a lobster next to to anchor line, my buddies and I headed for the bow....we poked and prodded looking for lobster and artifacts...hell, we were just enjoying the visibility. We saw some schools of porgy just off the wreck and even a few dogfish.

In between dives, we tried to keep warm and even were treated to some hot soup.

90 minutes later we were headed back to the bottom in search of the stern....I found a decent size lobster and after fighting with it for a few minutes managed to get him out. Unfortunately, he turned out to be a she and she was carrying her children-to-be. I had to put her back....this time. Next time she may not be that lucky. The rest of the dive was uneventful except for finding a small brass valve amongst the debris. Should clean up nice.

On our way back in, the ocean flattened out like a pancake.....imagine that!

Until next week....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom