SS backplate weight issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lil_mac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for some recommendations. There are a lot of options for weighting my BP wing, but I am looking to spend money once and not keep trying different things.

I have a hog harness, with a Dive Rite SS backplate and Venture wing. I need 25lbs to sink me in my drysuit (I know a lot of weight for a 145lb skinny guy). I currently have Dive Rite large ditchable weight pockets that hold 10lbs each side, and 5lbs on a cam band.

I would really like to free up the harness from those huge pockets, they wont stay back by the plate and always shift forward. I am looking for suggestions for where to put my weight. I would rather not have a weight belt, and keep all the weight on the rig. I also do not need ditchable weights. What is the preferred DIR method?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Sheahan

Wow, that soudns like a TON of weight . . .

Maybe look into one of the bolt on plate weights like this one for DSS.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=7

Obviously this would not work for your DR set-up, but maybe there is an option someplace.

What about a SS STA?

a large "V" weight . . .

of course 25 does sound like a lot of weight . . .

I have a steel HP80 & and a LP80.

I think the reason I need so much weight is I made a double fleece undergarment that is really thick.

I like those plates by DSS but I donÃÕ know if they will work. If the contour of the plate is similar to the Dive Rite then I could just drill new holes.

I have thought about an STA but that only helps with 5-6lbs for $60-$70. Ouch! I wouldnÃÕ mind if they were like 10lbs.

Use a weight belt.

I'm about 145lbs too and idve in Puget Sound as well. With steel hp100 single, 6lb plate, weezle extreme+ undies I wear about 26lbs of lead total. 20 on a belt and 6 on the lower cam band. As you have learned, weight pockets are a pain.

I could upsize to a heavier plate but a few pounds of lead on the lower cam band and a belt works well for me and didn't require other new gear when I upgraded to the thicker fluffier and more buoyant undies.

I'm 185lbs and with a single alum 80 I use 20.75 Lbs that includes the 6#SS Backplate in a clx450 drysuit. It sounds like you should do a true weight check with 500 Psi in a tank. After that a couple of cheap options to consider are this v-weight from XS-SubaXS Scuba Pocket Weight Belts you could use a pair of these, one inside the STA and the other inside the V grove. Or what I started off with when I first went to the HOG setup is using a pair of extra ankle weights inside the STA cliped at the top to one another on the wings handle. It fits very snug and no chance for movement. Also, Halcyon makes a pair of ACB10 weight pockets that have SS keepers that will keep them tight to the plate and has a D-ring at the left hip for extra bottles.

1. Weighted STA.
2. Put some weights on Cam straps or plate.
3. Take it off the waist strap and put it on a belt or harness.

I doubt this is DEE-EYE-ARR, but it works so long as you understand non-ditchable weight and have redundant buoyancy, which with a drysuit you do. It's also really cheap ;-)

Keep it simple:

Take plain lead weights (like used w/ weight belt)
Drill a hole through them, slightly larger diameter than the holes on the sides of your backplate. Lead is really soft and easily drilled through.
Bolt the weights on each side of the backplate.

Done.

However, a better solution IMHO, is to move up to double steels and get the benefit of more gas w/ all that extra weight :wink:

It really sounds like a lot of weight, but anyway, I don't use weight belt, will describe you how I distribute the weight with singles, hope it gives you some idea, although I don't need 25 lbs.

I use a 3 kilos (6.7lbs) SS BP with a weighted 3 kilos STA (more 6.7 lbs = 13.4lbs), I have one pocket in each rig of the STA where I put weights to trim, I usually use more 3 kilos there with thick undergarnment (and if necessary, with help of my buddy, the pocket's weights are ditchable), which totals around 20 lbs, you would have 5 more to go, but these pockets I use would easily hold up to 12 lbs, 6 each, so I believe you could reach 25 lbs with this setup. I use that with AL80, with a single X7-120 I don't need any weight in the pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom