SRP GoPro BlurFix & Tray Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure about the physics of that statement
The Delta wing also allows you to adjust your lighting, closer or farther away to the subject without increasing the length of the arms. I see some systems with this little camera and these monster arms. It kind of defeats the reason to reduce the size of your system.

You are pushing the camera away from the mounting point of the lights. How is that making your lights shorter? The gopro does not focus at close distance I am lost in so far as the meaning of this statement

The Delta wing also allows you to adjust your lighting, closer or farther away to the subject without increasing the length of the arms. I see some systems with this little camera and these monster arms. It kind of defeats the reason to reduce the size of your system.

@ Interceptor121 - I'm sorry I was a bit vague with my explanation. There is a channel in the left and right side of the Delta Wing that allow the arms of the tray to adjust closer or farther to where the camera is mounted on the tray. With a light system mounted to the arms of the SRP Camera Tray you can adjust the arms which move the cans of the lights closer to the subject without moving the position of the tray.

If the SRP Camera Tray was a straight bar design with a channel, you would only be able to move the light side to side. With the Delta wing shape I am also afforded the possibility of casting light on only one side of my subject. Simply move one arm to the forward position and then pull it to the determined side increasing the intensity X2. This not only provides great hard shadows but is accomplished without longer arms to reach the other side. All these possibilities in a compact, quality, professional solution. Hope this helps?

SRPTRYINTH.jpg

The gopro does not focus at close distance

@ SB Community
I think it's important to remember, the GoPro camera is a POV camera (Point of View) and designed for a specific role in the photography world. It is small and compact not to mention affordable. I believe the diver needs to understand, this is a wide angle camera at heart and not designed to shoot Macro or the family event/wedding. (Not that you can't... But!) This statement should open conversation concerning the FOV setting for shooting topside. It just so happens that the GoPro is an awesome solution for the every day diver who wants to jump in, capture his/hers adventure and share it with friends and family. That's not to say that in the right hands that you can't get broadcast quality footage. Take a look at these two videos. One shot by an amateur photographer and the other by a professional. I think any diver would be proud to produce either.

Amateur:
[video=youtube_share;jTMF4Tzjmv4]http://youtu.be/jTMF4Tzjmv4[/video]

Professional:
[video=youtube_share;9_DG44VST2E]http://youtu.be/9_DG44VST2E[/video]

To say that the "Gopro doesn't focus at close distance", I think needs to be quantified. GoPro does a fine job at 12-18 inches with proper lighting. Proper lighting meaning, natural or artificial, but this holds true with any camera. If the diver is trying to shoot Macro (1-2 inches) then the GoPro is the wrong tool. Don't use a fork to eat a bowl of soup! :D

To sum it:
If a diver is looking to get into underwater videography, doesn't want to shell out several thousand dollars or just wants to down size , then the GoPro is a great alternative.

This post is only my thoughts and not definitive to the subject. It's purpose is not to be argumentative but food for thought. Underwater photography/videography is an art and should not have constraints or boundaries on creativity. Dive, record and have fun!

Last edited:
Sorry I have been using still and video cameras and never I had a problem with the arms being too much in front. Only shooting with strobes wide angle stills can create problems of flare but as long as the strobe is not in the field of view of the camera there are no problems. I think pushing the camera forward is a disadvantage as you are just needing longer arms to reach out, opposite of being more flexible it is actually less flexible as you need more segments

I don't recall one circumstance where I hoped the mount points of the arms were more backwards but several where I had the arms not reaching out enough ahead so this is not making sense

Maybe someone who has used other mounts can comment but I seriously struggle to see any advantage with respect of lightning

Close focusing? Let me get my videos finished from last weeks trip - I have vid of the GoPro about 4-6" from the mouth of a green moray, and one video where a nurse shark actually slaps the camera as it swims under me - no problems at all with focus!

Sorry I have been using still and video cameras and never I had a problem with the arms being too much in front. Only shooting with strobes wide angle stills can create problems of flare but as long as the strobe is not in the field of view of the camera there are no problems. I think pushing the camera forward is a disadvantage as you are just needing longer arms to reach out, opposite of being more flexible it is actually less flexible as you need more segments

I don't recall one circumstance where I hoped the mount points of the arms were more backwards but several where I had the arms not reaching out enough ahead so this is not making sense

Maybe someone who has used other mounts can comment but I seriously struggle to see any advantage with respect of lightning

Maybe this [video=youtube_share;fRI2ABE0aOM]http://youtu.be/fRI2ABE0aOM[/video]

Having the hands set back is definitely a good idea if you want to go sticking the camera in the face of sharks ad other things you really dont want your hands and fingers too close to.

I do remember seeing a video where an eel took a guys thumb off but he did kind of deserved it as he was feeding it little cocktail sausages, unsurprisingly the eel couldn't tell those apart from the guys fingers and had his thumb as dessert. :rofl3:

Having my hands back from the camera itself makes it much easier filming things that may not be entirely friendly where its good to have the tray and camera between it and you. As I have started experimenting with macro lenses on the GoPro I am putting the camera much closer to many things and that extra little buffer to protect the hands is surely a good thing. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom