SRP GoPro BlurFix & Tray Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had a chance to play with the tray for a little while and I love the versatility of it. Ive tried many different configurations and here is my current setup with 2 HD2 cams and 2 sets of lights :D

Are these SRP or third-party flex arms mounted to the tray? Are the flex arms screwed into the tray handles? Thanks.

Has anyone 'tiered' the trays, and if so, how did that work out? I have a Canon SD370 that I still like very much, especially for macro photography. Was thinking if I tiered two trays, I could have both camera's with me while I dove, especially for those super macro shots.

TIA

How big is the SD370? if it's not too big you can probably have the cameras side by side on one tray.

Are these SRP or third-party flex arms mounted to the tray? Are the flex arms screwed into the tray handles? Thanks.

Those are third party arms, the handles that come with the tray have threaded holes on top and the bottom for lights or any other use you may think of.

Where would I get flex arms compatible with this tray - like the ones on the photo above? Thanks

Last edited:
Sea & Sea, Fantasea, Light & Motion among others, have flexible arms. As long as they use 1/4-20 threads they will work with the SRP tray handles.

The handles I have are Locline arms which I got from SRP but should be available at any SRP stockists or many shops that sell underwater camera gear. Any other flex arms with 1/4-20 threads will also easily mount into the handles.

Has anyone 'tiered' the trays, and if so, how did that work out? I have a Canon SD370 that I still like very much, especially for macro photography. Was thinking if I tiered two trays, I could have both camera's with me while I dove, especially for those super macro shots.

TIA

I have a couple of trays but I haven't thought of setting them both up tiered, an easier option may be to mount your main camera on top and gopro underneath on a single tray. I can take some pics for you if you like with 2 trays tiered but I think it may be a little overkill if you can just mount top and bottom instead.

The handles I have are Locline arms which I got from SRP but should be available at any SRP stockists or many shops that sell underwater camera gear. Any other flex arms with 1/4-20 threads will also easily mount into the handles.

I have a couple of trays but I haven't thought of setting them both up tiered, an easier option may be to mount your main camera on top and gopro underneath on a single tray. I can take some pics for you if you like with 2 trays tiered but I think it may be a little overkill if you can just mount top and bottom instead.
This weekend I set up my Ikelite housing on top of the SNP tray, you can find a place in the key slots that is 3" OC apart for the Ikelite on top and mount the GoPro onthe the bottom of the lip . Just flip the tray over for goPro or over again for bigger camera.

Pictures soon.

As far as the previous discussion about wrist mount this was taken with GoPro 720P 60fps Blurfix URPro cyan filter DIY wrist mount made from the head strap
NorthPoint ReDuex Video by Webster

Here is a photo I took of 2 SRP tray's stacked with 2x sola 500 lights and locline arms, as Diver Jan is intending to do. The Legs I have put on the base aren't needed for diving I just put them there for a couple of land based tests I was doing where I stuck them to the deck so the tray doesn't move between shots :D

img20120530150247.jpg

Here is the video I shot the land based tests, not exactly diving related but it shows all the GoPro HD1 and HD2 modes in comparison to each other to show how each modes FOV are set, also showing basic image quality of all the video modes.

The HD1 960P and photo mode show a slight corner vignette as I used a blurfix housing here (no filter) but the HD1 is slightly wider then the HD2 as can be seen here.

[video=youtube;veBVyFhElY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veBVyFhElY0[/video]

After using this product, I think the one major flaw is this:

Once you've committed to using the red filter... You are using Red. If you want to use your video light for something, you can't, or you have to accept that it will have too much red.

I would prefer if there was a way to wet mount a red filter over the lens, so that you have the ability to remove the red filter if you intend to shoot with lights.

Once you've committed to using the red filter... You are using Red. If you want to use your video light for something, you can't, or you have to accept that it will have too much red.

I would prefer if there was a way to wet mount a red filter over the lens, so that you have the ability to remove the red filter if you intend to shoot with lights.

Certainly something to be considered depending on your "mission." I think of my GoPro as an "action" Videocam and like that the filter is securely attached and don't have to take it off and swish the bubbles out. I have other Videocams with removable filters and you have to swish the bubbles out from behind periodically and when you take the filter off then you have to stow it. Its great to have a choice when you are on a "video" mission but when you are recording action, maybe you might think of what's the most reliable and simplest. I use a mask mounted GoPro with SRP BlurFix and URPro filters for most UW action and couldn't possibly switch filters off and on. Marty C. has a great demonstration of a URPro shallow water cyan filter and video lights and it would be a great way to have the best of both worlds, see the video, as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Now this is where the SRP Tray comes in, it's a really good all purpose tray that can mount just about any housing and if you are on a video "mission" you may be using something other than a GoPro with removable filters and probably manual white balance. You can also mount your GoPro underneath and either video simultaneously or flip the tray to alternate cameras.

:)

I had that same concern and mounted a red filter with rubber bands to the outside of my housing.

Back
Top Bottom