SRP Filter Flooding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlvrDragon50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just went diving with my GoPro which started out great! But... water got into the filter port... I have no clue why.

I just greased the o-ring and it was fitted pretty snug. It seems to be happening only at depth. The last time I went diving, I don't remember having this issue, but it was a long time ago.

Is it possible the silicone seal wasn't done right?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about sealing the filter. With such a small amount of room in between the camera lens and the filter, it will not hurt if there is water in there.

The only time I have sealed the a lens from the elements in when I went skiing with the polarized on because of the possible water spots on it if not. With the thing being completely filled under water, you will probably not see a difference between the two.

That being said, which O-ring did you have on the lens? There is three that they send out with it. Could of been the wrong one or a small nick on the ring somewhere. The BlurFix may not have been completely 'snapped' onto the housing even. Couple of possibilities.

If you let it flood due to the holes being open, it will not have the creep of water coming into the lens area where you can watch the filter fill up. Just give everything a good rinse when you are done. Along with that, the pressure differences shouldn't make a difference if they are holes are open at depth.

The water is a problem since it is affecting the focus of the video captured.

I thought the three O-rings were the same though?

There O-rings that come with the kit are or should be three different sizes. Depends on the lens fit and the seal you are trying to get, it depends on the type of filter. I know the polarized filter took the 'medium' O-ring and once you clamped it down, there was no turning it to adjust it either.

As far as the water in the lens area, have you let it just fill up and then try it? I have used mine a couple of times and have had no problems with it. This is because the area in between the filter and lens is so minute that it doesn't affect it. I could imagine if it filled up partially, it would be a pain due to this problem.

The only thing that I have ran into before was a little air bubble or two. Shook the camera a little and they moved out of the way and looked good. Like I said previously, I just rinsed everything really well, let it air dry and then wipe the lenses off with a specialty cloth for lenses and glasses.

Yup, it fills up only partially so there are regions where it is focused and regions where it is not focused.

I had no clue about the three different o-rings. They looked the same to me, but the seal line for my filter doesn't look like the one in the troubleshooting file I saw so I will have to try the other o-rings when I go back home.

Also check the threads on the filter, sometimes the anodizing on the filter threads is not smooth and you have to apply a little more force to seat the filter to the O ring. A little (very little) silicone Grease on the threads helps. Make sure there is a good seal by shining a light on the filter and seeing uniform contact between the glass and O ring. Take the assembled housing minus camera with a couple of sinkers for weight to your LDS and pressure test to make sure. Many LDS have a small pressure chamber to test equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom