Sri Lankan Bad guys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wobbygong

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
England is home but i live in many places
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there people I hope this is in the correct area if not please let me know as I could not find the good guys, bad guys area.
I currently 'work' for Scuba Lanka in the Lihiniya Surf Hotel in Bentota, Sri Lanka. My boss, Mr Eric Fernando #51319, I’ve been a C.A. (certified assistant) on a search & recovery course, where afterwards they would have real problems trying to find anything, let alone lift the item to the surface. Here he used a 1 litre plastic bottle to demonstrate how to lift a 3 kg weight about 1.5 – 2m. The students never even had the chance to practice as he handed me the weight after his demonstration, where I thought that he wanted me to then place it somewhere for them to find and lift to the surface, no we then went off for a swim.
His navigation course was to use a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 counts and then turn approximately 90’ by using his arm, again and again until he had completed a square. This square would have been no bigger than 5m2, after they had completed a not so square pattern, he continued onto the circle pattern which afterwards (on dry land) they asked me what they were supposed to do. On the straight line/reciprocal compass navigation swim we swam off in 2 groups for a desired distance & then had the 2 of them buddy up and find their way back, when they returned to the surface they were over 30m away from the boat.
His equipment needs to updated, his manuals OW (1999) AOW & Rescue (1984) & DM (1985). So how the AOW students completed their knowledge reviews for their wreck dive when there is no wreck section in that part of his AOW manual, I don't know.
He had no E.A.P. (Emergency Assistance Plan) until I came! He has had other people fill a tank that had been completely emptied on a dive prior to having a VISUAL INSPECTION being made on it.
When I mentioned that I would like to have in the boat each time I go out the following he got angry and answered in a raised voice, “you don’t need them, we don’t have room and I’m the only one who uses oxygen here & I have no phone!”
Items were;
• 1 lifebelt per person.
• 1 life ring.
• Oxygen (where the mask is no good for continuous flow as it allows normal air to get mixed with it).
• GPS + spare batteries.
• Phone.
• The guide (Instructor or DM) word is final as to dive or not!
The dive center in Serendib hotel (5min walk down the beach) has equipment that is less than one and a half years old and also oxygen.
He said that I would be working on comission but when it came to having flyers printed off that I had created and then downloaded to his computer, I’m still waiting for them; it is now more than 3 months later.
Students doing the OW course are left to watch it with only a DM there to answer their questions.
In the whole time that I’ve been here we have not done any rescue or 1st aid scenarios. They do not have any dive flags on the boat or a shade canopy (as the boat with one is broken).
Having known since january that my ex-girlfriend is coming to visit in april he's now said that he wont be renting where i stay for april, this means that i have to pay the rent.
From stories that other divers have told me of what goes on here in S.L. I would advise ALL VISITING DIVERS to ASK to see the CERTIFICATION CARD of their guide, to see if they are divemasters as so many have no card! Oh and I’ve seen divers being pushed into the sea from other boats.
Just another note worth pointing out, the fishermen here do not seem to care about some of the aquatic life i.e. turtles, as there have been 3 washed up dead in the 2 weeks here, killed by them as you can see from the broken or punctured shells and all the blood IN the underside of them. This information I have passed on to Greenpeace as well.

Jonathan Densham PADI #632841

You're a brave guy to air your views in public, and sign your name and PADI number at then end (instead of hiding behind some pseudonym). However you're taking a big risk of getting yourself kicked out of PADI if he complains.

I've no reason to doubt anything you say (or to believe you, for that matter) but it all seems impossible to prove.

Have you contacted PADI Quality Assurance department to complain about him? Maybe you should (and delete this post) before he contacts them himself complaining about you.

Anyway, good luck ...

Hi Bali freak, yes i know it take some guts to add name & PADI number but it goes to show that i have nothing to hide. The wheels have been set in motion & the outcome will depend upon PADI. I even asked a course director first what their views were.Proof comes from PADI as they have the students addresses.
Have you dived the USS Liberty in Tulamben yet, it's a seriously good dive as I saw a 2.5m sunfish three times in five dives, also I saw Nemo, had an excitable night dive & a beautiful deep dive there?

Hey out there,

I've got a house in Colombo, and will be there next month. For all the years I've either lived/worked there, I've never had time for diving there. Post-tsunami, what are reputable places for diving? I'm a DM, so I don't need courses (fortunately, according to the posts about "Sri Lankan Bad Guys."). Thanks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom