SR1 Advise for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Bought SR1 & having issues on first dive back in mid 2011, burst the disc on the top & started leaking, replaced & worked fine. Went to the Keys, no problems, just had them do an yearly tune up prior to going back & now sounds like someone is blowing a gym whistle out the first stage....so use this "internet" to google issues & poping that seal has been an issue since like 08! & a lot more than just 1 guy out there railing on the reliability of this thing ( its a "K" serial number). I had my concerns initially with buying the "ferrari" vs the old reliable chevy (Brut), but the performance difference was huge. Seen people having issues with cold water, bursting the enviormental seal, etc. I buy cars, bikes, boats all used, but spent the money since its my life, & now thinking I need to deal with breathing effort of the Brut, just to have something reliable I do not have to worry about.

I like the idea of Sherwood being the most common & easy to get parts for, so what is my best bet? Another manufacturer or is brut, oasis, or magnum a better bet, I love the way the SR1 breathes, but this is starting to cause me to not trust it & am on the verge of using a dirty word over this uneccesary drama.

I am not trying to throw Sherwood under the bus, just trying to be confident in my equipment & enjoy diving.

There are plenty of other regs out there that are easy to breath, and that are very reliable. You don't have to give up performance for reliability. Did you try having the reg repaired?

Welcome to the board.
I was always a big fan of the older Sherwoods but the SR-1 was a nightmare, they really messed up with it.
There is another option you might consider. The breathing preformance of any regulator is 99% in the second stage, the first has little to do with it and since the trouble maker with the SR-1 is the first stage, you might consider buying a different first stage and keeping the SR-1 second. I have not kept up with Sherwoods but looking over the 2012 listing, it appears they have changed design on their Mag and Brute line.....not sure if that's good or bad, time will tell. If you want to stay with SR-1 second stage, I think what I would do is to find a gently used or new old stock Magnum (2011 and earlier version- I really don't like the first year of any new design), use it's second stage as my octo, move the SR-1 second stage to the Mag first, then sell the SR-1 first stage. That way you stay Sherwood, you get the breathing preformance of the SR-1 second and the relibility of the tried and true Magnum first stage.....which IMO is what Sherwood should have done in the first place.

And if your shop tells you that you can't do this, find a new shop, you are being taken.

I doubt you will find much support for the SR-1 here. As you have discovered, the SR-1 has had problems since its inception. Compared to other Sherwoods, it is a very complicated design. While any reasonably intelligent 12 year old could easily "service" one of the older style Sherwoods, not so with the SR-1. They are very good breathers, but there seems to be no end to the problems, and Sherwood seems to be less than helpful in their resolution. I would think that by the "K" serial numbers, they would have resolved all of the earlier issues. Of course, it just might be that the tech is not up to properly servicing the SR-1. There are some "techs" out there who could f--- up an anvil.

My advice: return it to the dealer, and do not give up until the problem has been resolved to your satisfaction, even if you have to get Sherwood involved.

The first stage has had multiple first stage seat revisions,at least three, and I waited months for parts. The original second stage I bought was the best I ever breathed, but when I sent it in for all the 1st stage issues, including bad machining and lack of good qc, they only changed the second stage which was fine!! The replacement second stage still breaths well, but not like the original I bought. The fit stage is a brand new regulator paperweight. I don't trust the 1st stage. I heard but don't know the details that there was a patent issue may have been a problem on the original 2nd stage design.
Sherwood offered me a refund but never came through so it is important to inform my fellow divers. I wish they would refund me so I can say how good their customer service is, but still waiting, and waiting...you get the message.

There is another option you might consider. The breathing preformance of any regulator is 99% in the second stage, the first has little to do with it and since the trouble maker with the SR-1 is the first stage, you might consider buying a different first stage and keeping the SR-1 second.

Actually I'm not a fan of the 2nd stage either. It's basically a poster child for many of the things various 'developers' have done to the reliable, tried-and-true barrel poppet design to screw it up, all in one regulator. It has an overly complicated adjustment procedure and a tiny case with a terrible mechanical advantage compensated for with a hyped up venturi effect meant to impress the breathing test machines.

My advice on this is to cut bait and get rid of it. There are plenty of excellent breathing regs that are also absolutely reliable, and very easy to service Aqualung titan LX and SP MK17/G250V are two, and of course others will chime in with their favorites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom