Squid on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was a prime location, but remember? That locale's geography has changed just a little bit.

The creatures are attracted to physical structures. They can also very often be found above the Wreck of the Prince Albert's uppermost pieces, even things as simple as twisted upright angle iron. I believe it is part of their camouflage behavior.

Also look within and above the buoyancy training diamonds at all times of the day.

What changed along the chain in 15fsw? The "dive flag buoy" was removed- it had a fat chain and a sizable styrofoam float. They no longer congregate in that vicinity, I believe, because that structure was removed. They seem to have moved to be over the shallow reef to the East and West.

Herself sees them as we see airplanes stacked up on approach, all making graduated maneuvers in unison.

You can attract them by extending your arm and mimicking their movements with your fingers. You are as likely as not to annoy them by unintentionally wagging your fingers in Squid-Sign Language and be cussing them out. They will come right up and investigate your fingers.

At night, if you can maneuver a light underneath them, position your mask faceplate directly at them- they will see their own reflection... we have seen them come up and latch on to masks.

Reactions: drl
That was a prime location, but remember? That locale's geography has changed just a little bit.

The creatures are attracted to physical structures. They can also very often be found above the Wreck of the Prince Albert's uppermost pieces, even things as simple as twisted upright angle iron. I believe it is part of their camouflage behavior.

Also look within and above the buoyancy training diamonds at all times of the day.

What changed along the chain in 15fsw? The "dive flag buoy" was removed- it had a fat chain and a sizable styrofoam float. They no longer congregate in that vicinity, I believe, because that structure was removed. They seem to have moved to be over the shallow reef to the East and West.

Herself sees them as we see airplanes stacked up on approach, all making graduated maneuvers in unison.

You can attract them by extending your arm and mimicking their movements with your fingers. You are as likely as not to annoy them by unintentionally wagging your fingers in Squid-Sign Language and be cussing them out. They will come right up and investigate your fingers.

At night, if you can maneuver a light underneath them, position your mask faceplate directly at them- they will see their own reflection... we have seen them come up and latch on to masks.

LOL!!! Yes, I will give them the squid "live long and prosper" signal by just raising and lowering my fingers in imitation of their raising their "arms". It seems to signal that you are no threat and draws them in. In this older video from a trip a few years ago you can see the reaction(@1:15): http://youtu.be/QXnuPY76mtg

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2012 at 02:03 PM ----------

Bonus Video: Drumfish:Drumfish - YouTube

Last edited:
Have seen them as small as 1 1/2 in. in Bonaire. They are one of our favorite creatures. We were in Roatan in Nov. and saw a group of at least 75-100 tightly grouped. Also had one get upset with my wife on a night dive on Cocoview wall.Squid (4).jpg

They are one of my favorite creatures as well. Cuttlefish REALLY yank my chain :D

We also used to see squid all the time around the CocoView/Fantasy Island area. They have provided lots of interesting photos and videos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom