Trip Report SQUID EGGS AT VETS PARK!!! AND LOTS OF THEM!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Lake Pacific (1-29-22).jpg

On top of that, it was Lake Pacific on Saturday, like going through the "surf" in Bonaire. Water temp 57-59º (definitely NOT like Bonaire), viz around 30-feet or so both in the shallows and after the drop-off. We went straight out from Main Stairs and turned right (north) and came out around Middle Stairs. Tons of eggs straight out and thinned out just a bit as we moved north. Don't know what the story is if you turn south.

Here's short video of what we saw (including some playful sea lions who hung with us much of the dive):

Dove today, Sunday 1/30, at Vets. Went straight out (West) from the main stairs to about 70 ft., South to the monument, then deep and bit North to 100 ft. and then finally back up and exited just South of the main steps.

Lots of squid eggs deep from around 70 ft. and below. I was lucky to see the squid breeding on the evening of 1/19. My first squid run.

Attachments

• Squid2 2022-01-26 at 12.14.06 PM.jpeg
    Squid2 2022-01-26 at 12.14.06 PM.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Squid 2022-01-26 at 12.14.05 PM.jpeg
    Squid 2022-01-26 at 12.14.05 PM.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 67
Great video , I am always waiting to see Mr White lurking in the background(Seals) lol_

I also went out on Saturday and enjoyed the wonderful conditions. Only a few small patches between directly West of the main stairs and the monument. The majority of eggs are directly North stretching almost to the harbor entrance between 60ft - 100ft. Nice shots of the sea lions as normally you can't see them until they're in you face.

Attachments

• Crabs_1.jpeg
    Crabs_1.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Field_of_Squid_eggs_1.jpeg
    Field_of_Squid_eggs_1.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Sea Nettle_1.jpeg
    Sea Nettle_1.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 57
I am always waiting to see Mr White lurking in the background(Seals) lol_
Me too. Not out of fear but curiosity. Most of the Whites seen around Redondo are juvies who are more interested in fish than sea lions (or divers).

And for anyone who thinks we don't have GWS around here, check out this video:

Here's a recent presentation on nearshore white sharks, from the shark lab at CSU Long Beach, at the aquarium of the pacific, last month (February's presentation will be on orcas ).

Back
Top Bottom