SPRINGFEST II April 24th, 25th and 26th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's right, EGG lady . . . make 'im get 'is 'ead screwed on right properly !!!!

IT'S ALL ABOUT US !!!!!!!!

the K

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Bugman just needs one of these!
tree-pee-camping-tent.jpg

Carolyn:shark2:

You know it looks like that thing would bounce like a trampoline. It might be a dead give-away...:D

Now that's an interesting looking contraption.
Be my luck the bottom would rip completely out the first time I tried it.

Or I'd get up the morning after the Spring Fest or Vortoberfest activities, stand up and try to walk out the door.

the K

That's right, EGG lady . . . make 'im get 'is 'ead screwed on right properly !!!!

IT'S ALL ABOUT US !!!!!!!!

the K

LOL...I do what I can :letsparty:...to gently point out to others the error of their ways...

Glad you are going to be joining us Krak! It is never the same without you and YAF!

No worries Denise...I won't let anyone go down to the cavern who didn't have some knowledge of what they are getting into. At this point, the cavern may be a deep dive looking at the flooding down there now! LOL!

Carolyn:shark2:

Last edited:
You don't know what you don't know till an instructor puts you through every possible scenario that could go wrong. Before I took the class I thought I might pass on some of what I learned to my son who wasn't able to attend the class. Now that I went through the class, I wouldn't let him go near a cavern. Not being an instructor, I wouldn't begin to try to help someone who has not been trained to enter that environment knowing all the things that I know now could go wrong.

You don't know what you don't know till an instructor puts you through every possible scenario that could go wrong. Before I took the class I thought I might pass on some of what I learned to my son who wasn't able to attend the class. Now that I went through the class, I wouldn't let him go near a cavern. Not being an instructor, I wouldn't begin to try to help someone who has not been trained to enter that environment knowing all the things that I know now could go wrong.

I agree with you 100%, but some smaller caverns are classified as a safe environment for OW divers. I would never attempt to go into any cavern system that did not allow OW divers. I have no intention to get cave certified, but I do plan on getting rescue and cavern. Being that I have never dove Morrison, If you feel its to dangerous for OW divers, I will take your word for it. To me, BG could turn dangerous fairly quick for a diver who stirs up the bottom. This is why I made sure I stayed off the bottom. On our second dive they had a group go down with scooters and killed the viz. We did not go below 45 feet on that dive. Safety is part of my everyday life style and I would not jeopardize it for any thrill.

I would classify Morrison as a advanced cavern,Vortex is a easy cavern as long as you stay in the light zone, I should be there early friday if some want to hit Morrisons,I am going to try to bring a boat and hit up crypress and maybe get some fishing in also.

Argh. Ok, so I wrote down the wrong weekend and I've been thinking for months that Springfest was weekend after next. Now I see that it's a whole week farther out! *cry* It's too far away! Oh well, that's what I get for not getting on the board often enough. Regardless, we'll be there with the proverbial bells on. Can't wait!

I agree with you 100%, but some smaller caverns are classified as a safe environment for OW divers. I would never attempt to go into any cavern system that did not allow OW divers. I have no intention to get cave certified, but I do plan on getting rescue and cavern. Being that I have never dove Morrison, If you feel its to dangerous for OW divers, I will take your word for it.

Morrisons is a fun dive without going into the cavern. Cavern training is excellent even if you don't plan to do much overhead diving. The skills you learn carries over into other areas of diving.
There is alot of debate about OW caverns and people have different views on it. I tend to lean toward the discipline that any overhead (even swim throughs) like the ones at Vortex, should not be done without the proper training and equipment. The guy that taught my son OW at Vortex was an avid cave diver also and he showed him how he could get disoriented and in trouble in a swim through there when it got completely silted out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom