Spring Straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spring straps are a must for convenience and comfort, IMO.

Personally, I made mine. It's not rocket science. But the cost of the stainless steel springs and turnbuckles, along with some clear tubing, kept the price only slightly less than the XS Scuba straps.

For spring size get some one string and measure from post to post around your foot wearing the boot you usually wear, then deduct around 3cms this will give you a pretty good indication of the size of spring you need.

I had a pair of spring straps with this style of attachment:
http://www.lpimg.info/Image/Product/Large/BLREZP.jpg

never had a problem when swimming around, but when not in use or putting them on/off, one side would occasionally pop off. Because of this, there should be one strap sitting in the sand at around 130', next to the U-701. If you find it... I don't care, I never want to see it again.

I went with a style that had clips and love 'em:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R+Mn-dDrL._SY300_.jpg

The least expensive spring straps I have seen are these. I would contact Piranha to see if they have any experience with Apollo Fins. My first set of fins were some cheap Tekna fins with rubber straps. I had trouble donning and doffing them in the surf like the OP. My friend loaned me some Oceanic Oceanpros with the spring straps and that was the last time I used rubber straps. Once you use spring straps you will not want to go back. If the fins keep coming off that is the fault of the fins not the boots. The fin is a size too large although a bigger boot may help (and be a cheaper solution than replacing the fins).

Back
Top Bottom