Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thoughts I would have on S-hooks vs. shackles is that the S-hooks are easier to work with and replace. Also they were only 79 cents a piece at HD.

Well after looking at all the posts here I thought I'll put my few cents too.
I've got the general idea and all the part numbers from Alex and Olga's page:
http://www.cyber-strategy.org/pers/FinStraps.html
They recommend 0.062" spring but I find it a bit too strong. Instead I've used 0.057". I didn't like how they attach spring to the fin so I kept looking. I wonted field replaceable solution and when I came across this thread I really liked the idea to use shackles.
http://www.scubaboard.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=311935

I've bent my shackles little bit more to get better grip around the attachment post and to reduce gap between screw holes. Made bolts out of shackle pins, but you can use any SS bolts of appropriate size. Little heat shrink tubing and here you go...

Home depot sells assortment of heat shrink tubes with 1/2 inch and I think 3/4 inch. The 1/2 inch tube fits perfectly over the spring. Another benefit of their tubes they are much tougher then electrical tubing. This photo is after about 30 - 35 dives. As you can see it can take abuse pretty well.
I think McMaster-Carr has them too but I don't know part numbers.

Eugene

I tried out my spring straps this weekend, total failure! I used the springs from Mcmaster-carr which worked fine but my method of attaching them didn't work at all. I got the idea from www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/newspring/schultzspring.htm

Steve's split rings seemed to attract line when he used them on our Tech I course. :) As will most other designs that have multiple line traps built in.

You need a bushing over the point where the spring attaches to the fin. Try this. Take a piece of 1/2" dia brass or delrin rod, lay it on its side and drill a hole the same size as the OD of the spring in the center looking down from the top. Now stand the rod on its end and drill a 1/8" hole through the center from end to end. Bend the last two coils in your spring 30 deg., and put it in the hole in the rod. Take a piece of 1/8" SS wire and run it through the rod and through the two bent coils. Bend the wire over each end of the rod and again into the holes in the fin where the factory pin was so that the wire forms a rectangle with the opening in the center of the hole in the fin. It will take some effort to get the wire to go into the fin. Now you have a bushing that won't trap line as easily and still holds the spring in place. I used clear plastic tubing that barely fits outside the spring in the heel area. Put this on before you install the other end.

I don't know how to do this with anything except Jetfins since I don't dive with anything else.

I havn't been able to pull apart my Mcmaster Carr springs and I don't have cave line in them. I have also never pulled out the attachment point. One other member of my dive team also uses this design without any problems.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom