Spring strap for Twin jet - is it supposed to sqeak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RydDragyn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I recently replaced my Scubapro Twin Jet fins with the innovative scuba spring straps. My question is: is it supposed to look like this? As in, the strap stretches the buckle out, so that even with my booted foot in, the plastic buckle sqeaks while finning?

Picture044.jpg

Hi RD,

I have the same setup-Twinjets with the Innovative Scuba spring straps.
At first, it did "look like that" (in your picture.) I realized that part of the reason was that the rubber pull tab (??) was keeping the unstretched spring from curving.
What I did-(got the hint from some of the folks here) was to cut off one of the rubber "fingers" from each end of the pull tab, and to remove that same width of the pull tab "plate" (the rubber rectangle that rests against your heel.)
This left more of the spring uncovered by the rubber, and it got a bit of a curve to it. Not a lot, but some.
The strap still has the effect of pushing the buckles away from the body of the fin- but not as much. However, with mine, that "pushing" only occurs when the fins are not on my feet. Whenthe fins are on, there is a curve to the springs-around your heel, of course. Also, when not wearing the fins, I have the straps pushed below the foot pocket- where they would be when you are donning the fins. This also helps lessen that "pushed out buckle" situation.
Additionally, reducing the size of that rubber pad helped with donning and removing the fins- which was the main reason I did it.
One last thought- the first pair of straps I tried were (I now know) too big-and the
"pushed out buckle" thing was even more severe. Are your straps the right size?
( no offense intended, but it could be a contributing factor)

As far as the squeeking goes.... never had that happen (or my hearing my not be good enough to have heard it. :)

Good luck,
Mike

I have diferent brand but my springs squeaked when they were new. After 5-10 dives it went away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom