Spring Orlando Trip - Dive Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hadn't thought of heading towards Tampa, but now that I look at a map I see it is in striking distance also, another good idea. This is all very helpful, thanks to everyone.

I'll 2nd (or 3rd) Jupiter, and Jupiter Dive Center - outstanding place to dive and a great operator; they also dive daily.

I think Jupiter has some of the best diving in FL - your profile suggests a new diver - so be aware Jupiter sites are somewhat deep (60 - 90 feet) and current is the rule vs the exception - also, your chances of spotting something big are probably better in Jupiter than anywhere else in FL.

If the conditions are good, you should be OK - just be aware the diving can be challanging - I would do some local diving prior to your trip down - as a new diver, you don't want to make Jupiter your 1st dive after not being "wet" for 6 months.

Slightly south West Palm offers slightly shallower sites and there is at least one operator that really caters to new divers (Scuba Club of the Palm Beaches) - south of West Palm, Boynton/Delray offers great diving and is a little easier than Jupiter.

By no means trying to "scare" you - just want you to be aware of what Jupiter diving is all about.

Hey, I'm a newer diver too and been looking into all of the local options as I reside not too far from the Mouse. There is a lake used for Certification that is not far from Disney at all called Lake Denton . . . the obvious downside to this is that it is a lake in FL and aside from the occaisional bluegill and softshell turtle there isn't much to see, 30' max. I've heard Daytona (about a 1.25 hour drive from Disney) has some diving if you wanted to avoid the southern drive to Jupiter, dunno about how deep it usually is but you'd have more to look at. Also, this may be a stretch but Venice Beach would probably be a 1.5 - 2 hour drive from Disney on the gulf side . . . big area for shark tooth and fossil hunting, I just went for my first time this past Monday and while I didn't find anything, I had an absolute blast. . . saw some real crazy looking fish and it was a very comfortable dive (max 19'), they have a couple charter boats in the area that seem to always be productive and even reasonably priced. I've also heard that Bradenton (Tampa Area, closer than Venice Beach) has some good dives that aren't that deep.

Also, I'm trying to get all the dives logged I can. . . let me know if you need a buddy. . . I used to work for the Mouse as a travel agent (I've booked the living seas dive thing a few times for vacationers, but wasn't diving at the time so never looked much into it) so maybe I could even help with some general Orlando vacationing/disney vacation type questions you may have.

Good luck!

I dived Clearwater a couple of years ago when I was staying in Kissimmee. It's about 1.5 hrs drive which is closer than any decent diving on the Atlantic side but the boat trips out are a lot longer, so for a day trip what you save with the drive there you'll lose on the boat trip. It's a full day whichever direction you go

I also did the Disney Dive earlier this year and though it was enjoyable it was quite pricey and the fish did look a little sick compared to their sea dwelling cousins. As an earlier poster said you do get let out into the park and so are basically in for free, but you are on your own and your family will need to pay as they cannot accompany you behind the scenes.Also, the first dive won't be over till 7.00ish so you'd only have an evening for free anyway

There are a couple of dive shops in Kissimmee that organise trips down to WPB most Saturdays which might be worth looking into

Have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom