Spring in Mexico...not a fan of Cancun...been to Cozumel 1x...suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For Xcalak - Costa de Cocos Resort- Xcalak, Mexico - never been there but it's a dive resort. Fwiw Xcalak is a 5 hour drive from Cancun - I don't think you can fly in there commercially. It's on my list due to the proximity to the barrier reef. I've read with pre-planning you can dive Caye Caulker off Belize from there.

Another place to look at might be Manzanillo. There's diving there but it's a larger port town - it's the port for Mexico City. And there's cruise ships. Los Hadas Resort is supposed to be very nice. IDK any details - an acquaintance owns one of the dive operations there - I've heard the viz can be hit/miss there at times. The better diving is supposed to be in a bay just north of town. Manzanillo Mexico Travel Guide with info & photos of Manzanillo Mexico

A third option farther north might be San Carlos. It's oceanfront near Guaymas. USAirways flies there direct from Phoenix. There's diving all year but it will be cooler during your timeframe (a guess would be mid-high 70's) - in the summer it heats up over 85o. It's the closest warm water dive destination from Arizona so there's a dive infrastructure - about 1/2 dozen shops, some with multiple boats. The diving slows down during the winter months so check with the operators for your dates. Much of the diving is off San Pedro about an hour (or less depending on boat speed) away. There's a deep water canyon nearby so sharks are pretty common, and a seal/sea lion colony on the island guarantees diving with them. There's also a couple of big wrecks that are divable. San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

We stay at MarinaTerra but at times it's been a little shabby - I've heard they've recently remodeled the suites - most have partial kitchens. It's convenient for diving since the boats all leave from the marina behind it. There's several local restaurants within walking distance - otherwise you'd need a car or a cab to town. http://www.marinaterra.com/en/index.php

Last edited:
I love Akumal. No crowds, cute little village, 2 dive shops, lots to do nearby. Learn all about the area, including activities, lodging, etc at locogringo.com. Dive with the Akumal Dive Shop. Just don't tell anybody. We don't want the crowds t invade our spot!
DivemasterDennis

I love Akumal as well, and the original Akumal Dive Shop. We've always stayed in Half Moon Bay at Hacienda la Tortuga. The diving is better in Xcalak, but the access to Akumal is way easier...and caverns!

Xcalak is definitely worth a visit if you want to get away from it all and enjoy some nice diving! At "La Posa", you'll find a year-round school of tarpon. Generally, reef formations are quite different from those in the northern part of the Yucatan Peninsula.

The Leaky Palapa is a fantastic restaurant - could eat there every day. Another local, low key place is "Sylvia's" - great ceviche and other fish dishes. There are small stores in Xcalak, but good idea to stock up at a grocery store in a larger town/city to bring with you. If you get tired of relaxing, can visit Bacalar for the day or two as well as visit Mahahual down the road.

Not sure what airport you want to fly into, but it is a 4-5 hour drive from Playa del Carmen.

---------- Post Merged at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Xcalak is definitely worth a visit if you want to get away from it all and enjoy some nice diving! At "La Posa", you'll find a year-round school of tarpon. Generally, reef formations are quite different from those in the northern part of the Yucatan Peninsula.

The Leaky Palapa is an amazing restaurant - could eat there every day. You'll be surprised by the quality of their offerings - especially since it's in such a sleepy little place. Another local, low key place is "Sylvia's" - great ceviche and other fish dishes. There are small stores in Xcalak, but good idea to stock up at a grocery store in a larger town/city to bring with you. If you get tired of relaxing, can visit Bacalar for the day or two as well as visit Mahahual down the road.

Not sure what airport you want to fly into, but it is a 4-5 hour drive from Playa del Carmen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom