Spring in Mexico...not a fan of Cancun...been to Cozumel 1x...suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dierenarts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Planning my next trip late winter/spring 2013...any suggestions in/around mexico? Not a fan of huge resort areas but do like comfort on land and appreciated the fiorst time we went to Cozumel and did the pre-certified resort dive sessions. Where to go, stay, who to dive with? Friends love Cabo San Lucas, but from what I've heard here it's not the best in our time fram. Thanks.

That's a great time for the area around Akumal/Tulum. Weather is typically very nice, and you have the choice of open water diving and cenote diving.

I really enjoyed our trip to Loreto, too, and from what I hear, the weather there is good in the spring, too. There's a little less to choose from in terms of resorts and the like, but we loved the sleepier and less touristy atmosphere, and the diving was great.

We've come to be real fans of Puerto Aventuras and have been going there once or twice a year for the past five years or so. It is a gated community, built originally around an artificial inlet/marina. It has changed somewhat from what it's original designs were (for example where you could previously tether a boat next to the downtown shops is now a dolphin discovery), but it is a pleasant environment. We have stayed in one of the AI's in the area, as well as most recently in one of the condo rental units. We dive with Dive Aventuras . We have found that the location makes is accessible to a wide variety of attractions (other than diving). You are about 30 minutes (maybe less) from Playa del Carmen if you are looking for an "up-scale" evening on the town, and within easy access of such sites as Xcaret, Tulum, and even Coba.

PM me if you'd like more specific information.

I stayed in Playa del Carmen at the end of Feb.; weather was great, water temps comfortable enough for a 3mil shorty, and saw a few bull sharks, bunches of barracudas, turtles, etc. Dove w/ Jason from Fantasea (Diving Playa Del Carmen, Dive Centers Playa del Carmen, Small Groups) and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
I stayed at the Grand Mayan, about 25 minutes north, but there are plenty of places in town; Christa at Geofish has a a great shop 1/2 block from the water, and a lot of info here Where to Stay in Playa del Carmen -Geofish Dive Center.
Close enough to cenotes to make it an easy trip, and if you're in that area you definitely need to try them!

KevinL

When we went to Gozumel many moons ago (say 8 years) , I was not impressed by passing through Playa Del Carmen, if Akumal is similar I think I might just venture a look at Loreto as I've had it mentioned by others as well. Never been to the Sea of Cortez either so there's that too. The sleepier less touristy is definitely our speed. Who'd you dive with in Loreto? Where'd you stay?

I live in Loreto and the diving is great. I would recommend Dolphin Dive Center...but, big but for me...you will likely encounter water temperatures between 60 and 70 late winter and early spring. That's when I head for the Caribbean side...I am familiar with Akumal (the original dive shop) it's not at all like PDC. There's also the advantage of some cavern dives. If you want laid back you could also check out Paamul. Xcalak is also great and more pristine than anywhere else on that coast...but it's isolated and if you want night life it's nonexistent ... Not a place for everyone.

If you're ok with pretty much nothing to do besides diving and just hanging out...Check out xcalak...it's pretty fantastic...there is one really great restaurant that may or may not be open! Fabulous birding and other animal sightings as well...if you want more information about places to stay, etc, just ask me! But...you really should give Loreto a try as well. Best times here are July through october...

ok i'll bite want to steer me to a dive shop in xcalak and suggest places to stay?

Happy to...I love the place! XTC (Xcalak to Chinchorro) is the dive shop! Over the years we've stayed in other places, but, my favorite place to stay is Casa Carolina, they have a long dock which is necessary here to get past the very shallow water and turtle grass...the dive boat picks you up here, there are only 4 rooms, and Bob is a dive instructor but there are others...If you go to Bill in Tulsa's website you can see the various places available. There are no "real" hotels! Most places have few rooms...Xcalak is off the grid, so care in use of electricity and water are necessary. Only a few restaurants...the leaky palapa is gourmet quality...and one of the local kids has grown up and has a great little restaurant for simple food. If you decide on Xcalak and have questions about specific places...please pm me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom