Spring Break Live aboard recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RacerX113

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for recommendations for a live aboard this spring break(Apr1-Apr8). There are a couple of options available. I work for an Airline and fly standby so will be booking very last minute, so ultimately it's going to come down to who has space. The three I'm looking at are Cuan Law in the BVI, the Belize Aggressor III, or the Triburon Explorer Galapagos. I know the last is a different animal then the other two and a different price range as well and would be tougher to make it work, but would love to see the big stuff. Right now I'm leaning toward the Cuan Law, but interested in opinions of how those two compare. Would also like to hear opinions on the best ones for the macro life...Coco's Galapagos or other?
TIA,
Doug

I haven't been to Cocos Island; I have had a liveaboard in the Galapagos (Humboldt Explorer) and Belize (Sun Dancer II, subsequently renamed the Belize Aggressor IV). Neither is what I'd call a macro-focused designation (though the Engineer, Simon, showed me my 1st pipefish in Belize - tiny thing!); my Belize diving wasn't complicated by current and the option for a buddy pair to go off on their own from the group was there. I hyper-linked you to my trip reports.

The Galapagos is famous for big animal diving, often there's some current, and the stereotype is to tuck part of yourself into a cleft in a rocky area so you can hold still despite some current and watch the 'show' (e.g.: teeming life around you, schooling hammerheads, etc...).

The Cuan Law didn't have get a lot of reports or discussion on ScubaBoard, and I've been hoping to see some since they started a Virgin Islands itinerary. From past discussions, it had a reputation for a broader activity focus and appeal beyond just lots of diving (and consequently was thought to offer less diving than some regional liveaboards). It also looked a bit expensive to me. @Eric802 wrote that his father-in-law raves about it.

Liveaboard for Non-diving Spouse. Also see Post #8 by DiverSteve.

I wrote all that as though you'll have your pick of the options. You already know that's not likely. The Cuan Law is one boat; 2 liveaboards service the outer atolls of Belize. The Galapagos has a bunch of boats, but it is expensive, if you're doing airfare arrangements late I've gotta wonder how much that might rack up the cost (though maybe working for an airline you can travel cheap), and I imagine Spring Break is a time when a whole lot of people get a week off from work and travel.

Oh, and with the Galapagos, you may need to fly into Ecuador and overnight in a hotel, then fly on to the island your liveaboard operates out of the next day (and you might spend a night in a hotel there, too). Take a look at your travel arrangements, but if you only get 7 days off, that might weigh against a Galapagos liveaboard.

As much as I love liveaboards, working under the constraints you face, it doesn't sound like the optimal 'solution' for you at this time. What motivates you to want a liveaboard? There are land based dive destinations were one can rack up a high dive count.

Hey Drrich...thanks for the reply.
Yeah it's kinda a long shot for a liveaboard without booking a flight in advance. We did Cozumel twice last year and one of those times was for spring break and is my fall back if the liveaboard doesn't work as it's fairly easy to get there thru Cancun. I also did my first liveaboard on the Blackbeard in the Bahamas by myself and really enjoyed it. For me there is something about being on a boat, the relaxed atmosphere the ease/qty of the diving. Want my finance to give it a go this year. For this trip the Caun Law or the Belize aggressor would probably the best two that are going out that week for my situation. Just curious how the diving would compare. I've done a few dives off of St. Thomas and it was pretty good. Not sure what the diving around Tortola would be like compared to Belize. Needless to say I won't be disappointed if we have to go back to Cozumel. Would still like to go see the big stuff at some point when I have a bit more time and may actually have to buy a ticket as much as that would hurt my soul...:)

Thanks follow up info. I've been disappointed (and a bit concerned) over the lack of recent trip reports for the British Virgin Islands on ScubaBoard, and particularly regarding the Cuan Law. But that doesn't prove much, and it might be a good trip.

I suggest you bookmark the pages for the Cuan Law and Belize Aggressor III on a website with a good interface that tells you have many spots the boat has left for your week. This could be PADITravel.com, Liveaboard.com, the liveaboard fleet's website, etc... Check back frequently until you can book, then be ready. Be mindful someone booking the last room might not cause the system to be updated across all websites immediately, so if there are 2 slots left, I suggest booking and confirming when you can. Make sure you've got it.

Some of those sites may show you if a given week has a special sale rate.

I've yet to pay full price for a liveaboard; if you book last minute you may not have that luxury (or you might; maybe they want to fill the boat?). Sounds like you're booking 2 people, and liveaboards do cost money.

Have a Plan B. That could be a range of places. I suggest keeping an eye on specials at Maduro Dive and Caradonna Adventures. I've not booked with either but both seem reputable from mention on the forum. I've used Blue Water Travel for a couple of trips farther abroad and was pleased; here's their Caribbean Dive Resorts Page.

Belize has a rep. for offering the best diving at the outer atolls region, and while you can get it without a liveaboard, I'd save it for a liveaboard trip.

...but would love to see the big stuff.

Oh, you mentioned you would love to see the big stuff. Here's some food for thought about possible future 'big stuff' dive trips. Galapagos is good for that (as are the Socorros and Cocos Island, I hear), but you don't have to go that far. Since you're based out of Atlanta and work for an airline, I imagine North Carolina and Florida aren't hard for you to get to. When you're ready:

1.) Jupiter, Florida - goliath grouper aggregation (fall), lemon shark aggregation (winter), shark feed diving (controversial; you have a good chance at some mix of lemon, silky, bull, hammerhead and/or tiger sharks).
IMG_7021.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html

Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

2.) Morehead City, NC - deep offshore wreck diving with sand tiger sharks. A nice preparatory experience for people who want to dive with tiger sharks later.

Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

Somebody might add the possibility of great hammerhead diving near Bimini or the lemon and tiger sharks off Grand Bahama. Look for trip reports, video and posts by these guys - @Dan and @scubadada

I haven't been there. I've read trip reports and watched video. In Magnum Force, the great fictional philosopher 'Dirty Harry' Callahan said a man's got to know his limitations. At least when I was researching Jupiter for my 2017 trip, someone opined the Jupiter tiger sharks seemed smaller than some of the Tiger Beach ones. Of the 3 I saw off Jupiter, 2 were females said to be close to 10 feet long.

IMG_2418.JPG

That's big enough for me. Be mindful that animal size increases in 3 dimensions (length, width and depth), so a 14 foot tiger is much larger than a 10 foot tiger. On one dive I was in the water with 2; I do not wish to be in the water with 6 or 7 at once.

If you don't wish to participate in shark feed diving, the North Carolina diving and Jupiter's winter lemon shark aggregation can get you unbaited shark action.

I work for an Airline and fly standby so will be booking very last minute
"Last minute," like minutes before your plane takes off? I'm curious how anyone flying standby can book a liveaboard without taking a huge gamble. Airline peeps I know (I live in ATL, too) are reluctant to fly standby when they have booked an expensive trip in advance, especially something that adheres to a rigid schedule, like a liveaboard; as you know, if you miss the boat, you're usually out of luck. How do you work this?

I suppose you could hope for a last minute opening on a liveaboard if you do get there, and have backup accommodations and diving in mind if it doesn’t come together. I’ve been on a few boats where locals got on for great deals at the last minute. Probably not a great idea at peak times.

Looking for recommendations for a live aboard this spring break(Apr1-Apr8). There are a couple of options available. I work for an Airline and fly standby so will be booking very last minute, so ultimately it's going to come down to who has space. The three I'm looking at are Cuan Law in the BVI, the Belize Aggressor III, or the Triburon Explorer Galapagos. I know the last is a different animal then the other two and a different price range as well and would be tougher to make it work, but would love to see the big stuff. Right now I'm leaning toward the Cuan Law, but interested in opinions of how those two compare. Would also like to hear opinions on the best ones for the macro life...Coco's Galapagos or other?
TIA,
Doug
Have you considered Caribbean explorer 2 ? Good deal great diving

In my humble opinion, the Belize Aggressor III is an excellent option for a one-week liveaboad; home airport to IAH, IAH to BZE, BZE to IAH, then back home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom