Sport Diver Photo Contest: Do they own photo upon submission?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where2Next

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was interested in submitting a photo to the weekly Sport Diver photo contest. After I read the rules, it appears they own the photo rights upon submission whether I win or not; Plus it seems they can use the image however they choose whether I win or not. It is my image/property, I just wish to submit to the contest, not give away my photo.

Am I interpreting these contest rules correctly? Has anyone submitted to this contest before? Any thoughts on this? :confused:

Thanks for your opinion.

Olympus Photo of the Week Contest Rules - Sportdiver.com

Looks that way..

By entering, you grant to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use your submission, along with your name and likeness, in any and all media for any purpose, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law).

Not to mention they are giving all your info to only God knows who...

By entering, you agree that the information you provide may be sent to promotional partners of the Sponsor(s). You may be contacted by the Sponsor(s) and/or promotional partners with future promotional offers. Information provided by you to participate in this Contest is subject to the privacy policies of the Sponsor(s).

And - I don't get it..All only to win a mid-range point and shoot camera that you already obviously have one of equal or better value....

It's cheaper than hiring a pro for new photos and PR work. They get hundreds of people with I'm sure some fantastic shots and pay squat for it. Kinda like PADI's go pro video stunt. Win 10 grand sure. But what would it cost them to produce a video and then use it for PR and advertising with no residuals to the maker except to their ego. And what kind of revenue will it generate for the magazine. Lots I'm sure. Great photos can be used to attract readers which in turn attracts ADVERTISERS! It's all about money. They pay out a few bucks if that
(the camera was probably donated by the manufacturer in exchange for a blurb or small ad) and you do all the work of getting the shot editing it and sending it in( do all entries also become their property? shady bastards if so.) and get a camera that may be less than what you have now or NOTHING in return. I entered a photo contest years ago( land based) my photo was selected to be published. It would be published if I sent in the 85 bucks for the coffee table book it would appear in! BIG SCAM. Submit your photo but include a rider that you retain all commercial rights to it. See what happens.

OK... I'm not the only one who thinks it is odd to giveaway the rights to your photographic art for a chance to win a $300 camera?

This is the 3rd photo contest I have read entry details in 2 weeks that is simply a total rights grab.

Two others are from big name publications who go out of THEIR way to protect their image rights from any unauthorized use.

Anything other than using our image to promote next year's contest or showing the winners in a magazine is a 110% rip off.....

I'll be emailing every amateur and pro photographer I know to avoid such contests.

JMHO

dhaas

I agree with the sentiments expressed by other photographres in this thread.

Forget for a moment that with the advent of digital photography, everyone with a point and shoot camera thinks he's Ansel Adams; most of those amateur photographers are more than willing to give up all rights in exchange for being published.

Professionals should not do that --neither should amateurs for that matter. I was just reading how many graphic and fine artists are rejecting an offer from Google to allow their artistic work to be used as skins for some Google site. These artists are saying that Google is a multi-billion dollar company and wants atrists to give their work for free.

The same applies with photographers. This is our art, our work. I never give away rights to my photographs, or even sell permanent total rights.

Jeff

OK... I'm not the only one who thinks it is odd to giveaway the rights to your photographic art for a chance to win a $300 camera?

For 99.99999% of photographers the "rights to their photographic art" consists entirely of appearing as a screensaver or wallpaper on their computer.

:shakehead:

People don't submit to "win the camera" but rather to have their picture published. Yeah that involves giving up the rights to the photo. For most people that's a pretty good trade.

This is the 3rd photo contest I have read entry details in 2 weeks that is simply a total rights grab.

Two others are from big name publications who go out of THEIR way to protect their image rights from any unauthorized use.

Wow, it's almost as if those publications are being run as a for-profit business!

Oh, wait a minute...

:eyebrow:

Submit your photo but include a rider that you retain all commercial rights to it. See what happens.

Your photo and the rider will go right into the garbage. Not worth the time, effort, legal wrangling or money necessary to process the appropriate copyright and permissions. You won't even get a note back to that effect.

I have no problem with publications running their business to hopefully make a profit :)

What I think ANY photographer, writer, graphic artist, song writer, etc. needs to watch for is being raped by these predators, especially if you value your work :)

Many contests have fantastic prizes including dive trips, great gear and such. If you want any of those things then enter! But don't be dissappointed when your National Geographic worthy photo gets you a one year subscription to their rag and it turns up on T-shirts, in other magazines, etc. an you get zippo for your thousands of diving dollars spent in gear, travel, computers, etc........

I liken the language in these two contests to this:

YouTube - The Vendor Client relationship - in real world situations

Changing the entry form won't work either as RJP is correct on that one.

Hell today if you want to share your vision with everyone get a FREE Flickr, Google or whatever account and upload them!

To each his own.

Rant over :)

dhaas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom