Sport Diver Photo Contest: Do they own photo upon submission?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I watched the above YouTube clip I laughed with a sad sigh at the end; As a professional graphic designer who makes a living off of my creative concoctions, I can totally relate! I have businesses that are for profit pay me for my work all the time - I rather use those as an ego boost or resume notation.

I would love to submit my work to the contest; However, one day it is conceivable I might have a client where I could use these pictures, so I choose not to give them away now. I guess I can see how an average Joe would have no reason to second guess this and think "hey I could win a camera." But then again, this is probably why the current entries are, well, 'ok' at best.

I was just surprised/caught off guard to see how 'bold' Sport Diver's policy is on image copyrights. Oh well. 8-(

Thanks for all the replies and input!

I was just surprised/caught off guard to see how 'bold' Sport Diver's policy is on image copyrights.

Why? It's the same policy you'd put in place if you were them...isn't it?

:cool2:

Actually, no. Maybe because I am a designer I have a different perspective and understanding.

I think a better policy would be if you win they have the right to reproduce in their magazine, website and any other media that lists/shows the 2009 winners. That's it, no usage for other reasons/spots, no usage whether you win or not, no ownership of the imagery, nothing else. With this mind set, they could certainly use it on a cover and say "2009 photo contest winner announced!" See they could still benefit without the gluttony and greed of full copyrights.

This is a fair and reasonable policy. In fact any industry contest I know about has similar rules to what I have listed (industry referring to photography/design/etc - any artistic media.) In fact a reward I received for a graphic design project actually belonged to a client who paid me - I entered it in a contest and won - I was recognized and mentioned in the award book, monthly newsletter and website - that is it. The client was pleased to have an award winning design.

So I raised my rates (not really! LOL)

I am still a "beginner" with digital photography, although I have shot film stills for over 40 years. The editing program that I use now allows me to insert my copyright information into the image file.

Once inserted, can it be removed without damaging the image file? I do not know and didn't find any information about this in the program's Help program.

Having written this, I do give my wedding and Bar Mitzvah customers a DVD of all the images with permission to make copies of them. I like this business model; less work for me post-shoot.

I especially like how they try to make it all better by making the license "non-exclusive" AND how "Sponsor reserves the right not to select any winning submissions based upon the quantity or content of submissions."

Gee, ya think they still might use a few of those "losing" submissions?

Actually, no. Maybe because I am a designer I have a different perspective and understanding.

Different perspective than that of a magazine publisher for sure. But if you were, and had a legal department with a knowledge of copyright law and intellectual property you would have a WIDELY different perspective and understanding.

I assure you.

:)

A Lot of this copyright garb is because of lawyers and the civil happy society we live in. For example I had a domain name once with the word Realtor in it, less than 3 days of going live with it I get a call from the National Realtor Association and there lawyer. Copy right is big money so for contest all right are usually forfeited just to keep the legal team happy in my experience. But I agree this bites to have to give all rights away just for a chance to win camera.

For decades amateurs have participated in similar contests. It is a way to expose your work, get some credit for it and have it judged against similar works. Nobody is twisting your arm to participate, the idea is that if you can take one worthy photo then you might have the skill and vision to take others, or, is it luck and that is a one and only you can never equal again? It is not like it is a big deal, most of us have day jobs.

N

For decades amateurs have participated in similar contests. It is a way to expose your work, get some credit for it and have it judged against similar works.

N

The problem (according to their terms) is they can use your photo(s) wherever they choose without giving you credit. I saw some of your photos on another post - They are great, maybe you should enter!

I am with the majority here. It makes no sense to give away all rights to YOUR photograph for a lowe end/mid-range P&S camera. My photos are far from professional, but I am still very careful not to send them somewhere that basically then "owns them". Amateur or not, they are mine and I love each one. But, as Jim said, I can easily see why the magazine does it.....tons of cheap talent out there.

Back
Top Bottom