Sport Chalet at Metrocenter no longer selling dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversteve

always tired
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was just at the Sport Chalet at Metrocenter and all their dive gear is gone.

A manager said they weren't selling enough to make it worthwhile.

The fill station was still there but no one was around to ask if they still fill tanks..

If the compressor is still in the store, it will be gone soon.

Sport Chalet took SCUBA out of 5 stores.

i think its just not that... i buy my stuff primary from my LDS and know that it cost me a bit more... i have developed a relationship with my shop that i really like! i find that in the beginning, it was all about saving money, but when my investment in the sport became superceded by scuba as a life changing event, than saving a dime really wasn't important anymore... diving, diving safely, having fun, and doing it with other divers now drives me...

many that work at sports chalet are young, don't have diving experience, and have little business experience. its just a transitional job...

i've seen instructors there that were totally burnt out, too, and that's not good for anyone.

i know a lot of local dive shops struggle to compete with large chains, but i've seen local shops that do better because their customers help them to survive. the shop networks, takes care of their employees, and encourages diving growth... they regularly call their customers to come in, to dive, to go on trips, continue their education, and to live the dream!

just my perspective...

--c

Wonder if it has anything to do with the newer Sports Chalet up on I-17 and Happy Valley. They have the full scuba operation up there. The metro center demographic has vastly changed in the last 10 years. I always wondered how that dept made it, at that location.

Sports Chalet has removed all of the scuba dept's from any store that has no pool....

The very well informed info is that by the end of the summer.... They will have NO MORE scuba at any store at all.

That is what I am told.

Not that it couldnt happen, but no more scuba would be a surprise to me, at least here in Az they have been building stores like crazy, all with scuba pools.
If the goal was to phase them out, I would think they would start with new builds.

Jeff

Sports Chalet has removed all of the scuba dept's from any store that has no pool....

The very well informed info is that by the end of the summer.... They will have NO MORE scuba at any store at all.

That is what I am told.

The one in Gilbert still selling gear and according to their Director no plans to change anything.

Happy Valley/I-17 is unchanged also as of Wednesday afternoon. But they have a pool. Several divers were getting fills/renting gear ahead of me.

So that's still convenient for Pleasant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom