Splitting-the-Pot: How to Divvy your Drysuit Budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok, so i recently made a decision to become an all-season diver. i am comfortable in a 5/4mm down to 48 degrees. i have $2000 dollars for my budget, and want to buy:

1. my first drysuit
2. my last drysuit

(one-in-the-same)

this must include EVERYTHING necessary to safely dive freezing cold saltwater. i don't need recommendations on brand or model, zipper placememt, hardware, weezles vs thinsulate, or trilam vs. neoprene. FIRST, i need to know HOW TO SPLIT UP MY BUDGET. there are many different thoughts on this board on how to do this. training (NAUI) will cost me $125 up front, so my budget is already down to $1875. for example, should i spend:

[A]
$750 on a used suit
$500 fixing it up (new valves, pockets, drygloves)
$500 on a premium undergarment
$100 on a hood
$25 on ankleweights / gaiters
-------------------
$1875 + $125 training = $2000

$1500 on a medium-range new suit
$200 on necessary extras (relief valve, rockboots, etc)
$100 on a hood
$50 on lots of cheap & thick polartec
$25 on ankleweights / gaiters
-------------------
$1875 + $125 training = $2000

[C]
$2000 on a drysuit package
-------------------
$2000 + no training(*)

[D]
???????????????????

how would you do it, those have have been through drysuit ups & downs. where should a savvy diver skimp, where should he splurge, with a strict bottom line of two grand! thanks!

(*) - don't let my instructor see this >_>

Don't skimp on undergarments. They're a significant part of why a dry suit works, and if you're diving in really cold water, you not only need something that will keep you warm, but something that will keep you warm when you're WET -- because one of the things that's utterly inevitable with dry suits is that you eventually will be. Buy more than you need, rather than less, in terms of insulating properties.

If you don't want to deal with issues (this is really the first and last dry suit you want to buy) buy new, and buy something with a good reputation for durability. Buying used can be financially advantageous if you have a bit of DIYer in you, and if you can check the suit out well enough to be sure that the zipper is not an issue. Seals aren't hard to replace, but zippers are expensive.

Edited to add: If you buy a suit that fits, you can cross $25 for ankle weights/gaiters off your list.

Or you could buy a new Freedom 2 from Leisurepro for probably less than $700 including a hood, Chuck Taylors for $40, and Polartec fleece from Cabela's for who knows how much less than something that says DUI on it.

Since you want this to be your first and last drysuit, buy new. Get fitted for it properly. Then you know it will have new seals, and a new zipper. As TS&M says, get good undergarments, and plan for them to get wet once in a while. They will. My drysuits have kept me dry for the majority of my dives, but I have had them get water in them.

I think you can look at quite a number of suits with undergarments close to your budget. Brands that can really meet your needs are DUI (expensive - but worth it. I have countless dives on my CF200), Bare, Waterproof, Whites, Pinnacle (decent suits, and maybe where your budget is with room to buy your extra undergarments).

I don't know where you are, but go online and look at the LDS that I use Indian Valley Scuba. Talk to John. They are north of Philadelphia about 40 miles. IVS is having great sales on new and demo (lightly used in 2010). If you send them your exact size, they may be able to help you. Then a good drysuit course is in order. Good luck.

Safe diving to you.

+1 on the polartec fleece. I don't have any dedicated undergarments, just use what I wear when camping/hiking in freezing cold temps. Works well.

Northeast Scuba Supply has a wicked deal on the Diverite hoods right now, so your $100 allocation just because like $15.
Wetsuits - Hoods - No Bib Hoods - Dive Rite Hoods - Northeast Scuba Supply

No reason for rockboots, Chucks work great, unless you have a ginormous foot like I do and they don't make them big enough.

I wouldn't take the class.... Find a good buddy that knows what he's doing and that should be good enough. The drysuit classes I've seen are comical.
"this is how you inflate"
"this is how you deflate"
"don't under-inflate or you won't be having kids or feeling in your feet anytime soon"
Then discuss how to maintain them, but that's easily found on the interwebs anyway

I have problems paying for classes when I have buddies that are perfectly capable of helping me out.
How to Use a Dry Suit for Scuba Diving | eHow.com
YouTube - Scuba Diving Lessons : How to Use a Dry Suit for Scuba Diving
That's basically all they'll tell you anyway.

How I did it.
Bought a used trilam self donning drysuit. It fits well, it's not cave cut, but still fits well. Needed a new wrist seal but works fine otherwise. It already came with pockets and a P-valve, and was under $1k. USIA techniflex, looks near new. No class, had plenty of dive buddies that were experienced, but most of it is common sense.
Made some DIY gaiters, and that was about it

I would go the route of a good used suit.......

Skip the pee valve for now.......you can always add it later, along with dry gloves.....

Don't forget new fins....my drysuit fins are larger than my wetsuit fins......

Be on the lookout for deals on undergarments, you can always find them.....

I would consider a drysuit with integrated boots, no overboots needed and keep you feet a bit warmer......

M

I wouldn't take the class.... Find a good buddy that knows what he's doing and that should be good enough.

I just completed a DS cert. class and I would agree with that. If you don't plan to rent a drysuit you really won't need the certification card. I did benefit from reading the training manual and I would recommend that. But an experienced buddy is really all you need to start diving the suit. It's really nice to have a buddy help you suit up, check your seals and zipper, get your buoyancy established, and then dive with you.

I'm not an experienced diver but I have seen someone take a drysuit class and I would strongly advice against it. It consisted of a single dive (in a one size too small suit) with a short briefing that hardly worth $125. You should be better off with a dive buddy who is familiar with dry suits.

(I even met a complete stranger, but experienced technical diver, who voluntered to help me get started with it.)

i agree with lynne - skip the ankleweights/gaiters. if you need help to control the air in your feet, go the finkeeper route or use those tank bangers with the ball & bungie just under your knees like little girls' pigtail holders. (if you can't visualize that, lemme know & i'll explain more.)

i disagree with jorgy - *do* get the pee valve. it is more than nice, it is necessary.

if you have an experienced buddy, no need for the class. if you don't, ask around on here & you'll likely find someone willing to mentor you a couple of dives. put where you are in your profile.

the most important thing is the fit. if you have the time, you can spend a year or so going to demo days and being fitted, and keep your eye out on the boards and ebay for a suit that you know will fit because you've tried on one like it. that's what i did, and i found a perfectly fitting suit 4 states away that was stock that didn't sell from an excellent company that went under. if you don't have that time, new is a better deal because it will fit right *or* be under warranty and be sent back and *then* fit right.

don't forget to budget new fins. your old ones are unlikely to still work. of course ebay is cheaper than new.

for the undies, i'd try finding a wicking layer like under armor at a sports or running store. walmart has merino wool socks in the hunting section that are great. if you're comfy wet to 48deg, you may be comfy in thinner undies than many, and polartec might be all you need - look in hunting stores or walmart for that, too. if you were miserable wet at 48deg, a weezle or other premium garment might be a better bet.

good question - let us know what you decide!

Back
Top Bottom