Split level pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Bangs:
James, When shooting over/under with the S2, my preferred lens for these shots is the Nikon 16mm. Great DOF and not as fishy as the 10.5!

as you know the 16 mm uses a rear mounted bayonet style filter. I wish it had the gel mount like the 10.5!

My question is, do you know anywhere where I can get a bayonet split ND filter made?

PS: Taking Gilligan diving here on Guam today. It is a nice treat to finally meet someone from the board.

Chris
My Canon 14mm takes a rear gel filter do you think making a split gel on the rear would work??

Daren

Daren...welcome to the board! Just thought I'd remind you to check the dates on old posts, this one is almost a year old. That's doesn't make the info any less accurate, just sometimes out of date.

Hello Daren

A split ND gel should do the trick. If the Canon 14 mm is similar to the Nikon/Sigma lens with its domed front element, I suggest focusing on the under water portion then recompose and fire away. the above portion may be slightly soft but acceptable.

Chris

Soggy:
This may be a dumb idea, and I'm not a photographer, but would something like RainX work? It's transparent and causes water to run off.

Soggy, I am just trying to learn to do these but a pro told me to use pledge. He said if you don't have it to lick the dome port. Since it could be a joke, I tend to only lick the dome port when no one is paying attention but I think it does work. Maybe like a surfactant? You know Chem 101 and the surface tension thing? Like spitting in your mask?

Rain X is NO GOOD for acrylic domes as it contains silicone which may cause cracking. Spit works better ( licking the dome like a cat will work too ). I actually use a solution of 50% baby shampoo and water.

chris

Chris Bangs:
Rain X is NO GOOD for acrylic domes as it contains silicone which may cause cracking. Spit works better ( licking the dome like a cat will work too ). I actually use a solution of 50% baby shampoo and water.

chris
Yeah I was afaid of Rain-X myself.I called Dennis at Helix Camera today, and he only recomended RainX. I asked him if there was any other polish..etc. He said NO.

Does the baby sampoo leave any film, or cause any blur? How long does it last for you?

Daren

f0t0man:
Yeah I was afaid of Rain-X myself.I called Dennis at Helix Camera today, and he only recomended RainX. I asked him if there was any other polish..etc. He said NO.

Does the baby sampoo leave any film, or cause any blur? How long does it last for you?

Daren

Rain X IS OK for glass domes! As for the baby shampoo, it does not leave a film BUT I have to apply it after one or two shots. Basicly I spray it on dip the dome, then position and shoot.

chris

Chris Bangs:
Rain X IS OK for glass domes! As for the baby shampoo, it does not leave a film BUT I have to apply it after one or two shots. Basicly I spray it on dip the dome, then position and shoot.

chris

Chris,
thanks for the reply.
BTW I loved the whale shots, as well as the others.

Now on another ?
How do I determine where a lens should be positioned in a port.

ie...how far forward. The lens I am using is a canon 14mm, in a 7" port.
I'm not sure I understand what the nodal point is. Other than centering/squaring up the lens, and making sure there is no vinetting, I don't know what I am doing.

TIA

Daren

f0t0man:
Chris,
thanks for the reply.
BTW I loved the whale shots, as well as the others.

Now on another ?
How do I determine where a lens should be positioned in a port.

ie...how far forward. The lens I am using is a canon 14mm, in a 7" port.
I'm not sure I understand what the nodal point is. Other than centering/squaring up the lens, and making sure there is no vinetting, I don't know what I am doing.

TIA

Daren

Hi Daren

thanks for the compliments!

well, I leave that up to the housing maker, in my case Aquatica. They make individual extension rings for each lens.

what is important is that the 14 mm will focus on the virtual image created by the port. if it is like my Nikon 14 you should be ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom