Split from Exploration dives without a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
Compared to TDI - this is the Adv Nitrox (to 100% O2), Normoxic Trimis, Deco Procedures and Gaz Mixing all rolled into one 5 day class. It's intense, but I found it well worth it!

do you think it may be easier to break it up into chunks like TDI does, or did
you find an advantage in having it all done at the same time?

i ask for two reasons: first, i am now doing TDI Adv. Nitrox and Deco Procedures,
but it would be really hard for me to find five days to devote to a class. can
you split those days up, or are they in a row? (for TDI, we are taking two
weekends)

and second, because i do tend to get overwhelmed easily... i'm not sure i could
absorb all that stuff properly in one big lump

Snowbear:
Do a recreational level dive to around 100' with someone who's trimix certified and has a normoxic trimix in their tank(s). Poke around for a couple minutes so you're well-adjusted to the depth and don't think you're narced. Then have your buddy donate his/her long hose to you. Note the difference for 30 seconds or a minute or whatever. Now switch back. If you remember anything from that point, let us know how it went. You will likely never again be able to honestly tell anyone you're not narced at 100' :wink:
I always wanted to do that experiment. If I remember, I will make a 21/35 mix in a forty and go dive in the hole that I call home away from home (Twin Lakes, Alberta).

The GUE "Getting Clear on the Basics" material is a bit different from Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedues. The TDI Adv. Nitrox covers some material in lot more in depth and the GUE book covers other material more in depth. We didn't use any charts except the CNS charts. We had to cacluate all the MOD, best mix, etc. with formulas. TDI has a large equipment section that covers stages and gear. TDI doesn't cover OTUs so much because if you don't exceed the clock, you don't need to worry about OTUs (according to them). The Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures courses are definitely not the same. And I'm not arguing one or the other is better. It would take a lot more time to do all the classes under TDI.

H2Andy:
do you think it may be easier to break it up into chunks like TDI does, or did
you find an advantage in having it all done at the same time?

i ask for two reasons: first, i am now doing TDI Adv. Nitrox and Deco Procedures,
but it would be really hard for me to find five days to devote to a class. can
you split those days up, or are they in a row? (for TDI, we are taking two
weekends)

and second, because i do tend to get overwhelmed easily... i'm not sure i could
absorb all that stuff properly in one big lump
For me, since I had to travel, it was better to take it as a 5 day class.

It was also considerably cheaper, not just for travel, but for the class. From what the already TDI-trained (Adv Nitrox, Deco procedures and Normoxic Trimix) guy in the class told us, he got much more out of the GUE class (not just the addition of the gas blending part either, but the meat of it).

Yes, I believe you can break it up. I understand the RecTriox is the first 3 days of Tech1. So someone who does RecTriox in doubles can then just do, I think, it's a 2 or 3 day finish-up to get Tech1.

H2Andy:
(for TDI, we are taking two
weekends)

Plus your six dives, right? You're not doing 2 classes and six 6 dives in 2 weekends?

Snowbear:
Yes, I believe you can break it up. I understand the RecTriox is the first 3 days of Tech1. So someone who does RecTriox in doubles can then just do, I think, it's a 2 or 3 day finish-up to get Tech1.

yeah, the five-day-in-a-row class would make sense as a vacation

i can't do that, though... well, i can, but it wouldn't be fair to melinda to
take my vacation to go diving without her

i had heard about the triox class being the first chunk of Tech 1. that's much more
doable for me

redhatmama:
Plus your six dives, right? You're not doing 2 classes and six 6 dives in 2 weekends?

sure ... the academics aren't rocket science (we're talking advanced nitrox
and deco procedures only)

we've already done four dives. we'll do four more next time (early June).

very doable.

H2Andy:
sure ... the academics aren't rocket science

we've already done four dives. we'll do four more next weekend.
very doable.

My instructor laid a lot of extra stuff on, particularly about gear. He was cruel... Plus we have to travel to dive.

i am so blessed to live in north florida!

:wink:

H2Andy:
i had heard about the triox class being the first chunk of Tech 1. that's much more
doable for me
The problem with doing that way, is finding a buddy for the second part of the class.

H2Andy:
i am so blessed to live in north florida!

:wink:

Did you guys have to swim 440 yards in 10 minutes, snorkel/fin 880 yards in 18 minutes, tow the animal 100 yards, and buddy-breathe with one reg without without a mask following a line for 100 yards? I'm trying to determine the sadist factor of my instructor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom