Split fins vs. Mares Superchannel (or similar style)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flutter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently own Apollo spilt fins, which I like. (I would rather not put excess pressure on my knees if possible). However, I was wondering if "solid" fins (my husband has Mares Superchannel's) provide a stronger kick, or more power per stroke when faced with current or other adverse water conditions. (We were recently shore diving in Curacao and hit a patch of pretty strong current on our return to our exit spot, on one dive. We made it fine, but I told my husband it was indeed an arobic effort to get back. He thought maybe my split fins didn't provide as strong/powerful kick in such conditions.) So I thought I'd ask here. (We generally prefer reef/less than 90 feet dives and shore diving, but also boat dive.) We have a drift dive vacation planned in April, and I am wondering if fins will be an issue there - haven't drift dived previously. (Admittedly, we are "newbies"). Thanks! :) P.S. I bought the Splits originally because of my knees, and also I needed the fins to fit sz 5 booties; my fins are XS.

My wife and I just bought Mares X-Streams to supplement our Atomic Splits. The Atomics are about 10 years old and we've always loved them but similarly to your experience we've had a couple of current situations here in Cozumel where we've wished for more power. We've tried 3 different Mares fins... Avanti Quattro's, Volo Power and X-Streams. It's difficult to judge a new fin with just a couple dives but we decided on the X-Streams. The hinged concept puts them in between a split and a paddle. The Avani Quattros, the fin all others are judged by, was definately stiff compared to the splits. After using the Quattros, jumping in with the splits felt like we didn't have on fins.

Here's the thing though... The Apollo's and the Atomics are excellent fins. Top end of the class. The kick is to flutter faster which produces speed and/or power. If you could flutter fast enough for long enough I suspect the splits would get you anywhere (current) a paddle will get you. With a paddle you have more power in a stroke but you have to be able to fin against the resistence. So with a paddle are you able to fin hard enough and long enough before your legs go?

Anyway, for that reason we went with an in-betweener. BTW: The Superchannel is close to the Quattro in performance.

Thanks, djanni. Your response provided info that was helpful and has given us "food for thought". :)

My wife and me started with Apollos, but changed to Scubapro Twin Jet Max splits. They feels lighter,and does not sink like the Apollos.. Recently our LDS had an offer on Sewing Novas, as we had noticed some DM's using. They feel a bit "big", but are more powerful than the splits, but they put more strain on our legs. I am getting used to mine after 20-30 dives,but I guess my wife will prefer thevtwin jets..

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom