SPLIT FINS VS BLADE FINS in waters that can be current sensitive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It ain't the fin so much as it is the finner.

By changing the performance of the diver.

There are too many "splits don't work in current" stories going around to just dismiss it out of hand. As you properly note, 2kts through still water is the same as 2kts against a current.

Split fins are very good performers when used correctly, but poor performers when used with big wide kick cycles.
My suspicion is that when trying to make headway against a current, some split fin divers start finning harder and bigger rather than faster.

The bottom line is that splits perform well in currents, provided you have the discipline to keep finning properly --- small amplitude, low power, high speed flutter.

Charlie Allen

I agree with you completely, but I feel I need to clarify the point.

I am not saying that we should dismiss the stories, but the lessons to take from it is not "splits don't work in current",

but in fact the lesson is that "divers start finning harder and bigger rather than faster", which is a nice way of saying that these divers have very little skill and fail to use their equipment properly.

This is no different than the divers that drown with full tanks and equipment functioning properly, if you try to breathe through your nose while the regulator in your mouth, your not going to get any air.

I agree it is technique and practice regardless of the fins you choose. I dive around vancouver and vancouver island and I really like my tusa x-pert zoom (stiffer compound) fins if you want a brand recommendation. I have used them in all kinds of conditions, the foot pockets fit my feet in my drysuit very well. I have used all kinds of fin brands and types. (rentals, trading with friends, my Dad's circa 1985 jetfins) and some are more comfortable than others (especially the foot pockets for me).

Back
Top Bottom