**Split Fins – Let the Bashing Begin!**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splits were designed by the Communists in the 50's as an attempt to undermine the "American Way". Sadly, even though Communism has been in decline since the early '90's, they are still winning hearts and minds through their subversive fin design. Other notable Communist dive innovations include single hose regulators, dive computers, air integrated dive computers, Air 2's, Force Fins, Jacket BC's and list goes on and on.

I've owned my pair of ATOMIC split fins for 4 years and wouldn't dive with anything else. They are great in the pool or open water.

That's all I got to say about that.

fins2.gif

I think you all have solved my navigation problem. I will wear one split fin and one solid fin. This will insure that I swim in a perfect circle and return to my origin since one fin will provide more propulsion than the other. Just like steering a twin engine boat with the throttles. Heck, I can even decide clockwise or counter clockwise by switching between a flutter kick and a frog kick! Way to go!!

O c'mon no bashing :rofl3:
I thought this thread was for some bashing.
Maybe we better start bashing PADI or NAUI or DIR or BC'S or BP/W.
OR better yet SNORKELS :D

And don't you thouch my V12's :D

Frog kicking is really more comfortable and more efficient in a stiff fin. Even very flexible blade fins don't work very well.

Agreed....I think most folks in splits, not all but many, are just fluttering away so it don't matter to them. You don't know what you don't know...

BTW, I have owned and used both, as a novice diver and now, a bit further on. I much prefer the blades. All the kicks I know, I can do in both, but they are easier and more efficient in blade fins, except for the flutter kick.

Same here, except now that I'm using the modified flutter more often I've forgotten my old flutter kick style. I was taught when I need to get out of Dodge to just go full bore flutter when required. So I keep it in the toolkit.

But the real reason I came to the thread was to "let the bashing begin :)

Most of the smarter divers have already adopted the new technology. Stiffer is only good for certain non diving apps. Less resistance and more performance seems to make way more sense. I can do all styles of kicks with by bio XT model. No problems at all. I still have my 30 year old Jets and some Mares power plana fins and several other model paddle fins. The old style paddle fins now feel like bricks or boards on my feet.

Hey don't take it personal :D
This is the "split fin bashing thread" after all.
Heck start a stiff fin bashing thread and then I can come in and defend myself :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom