Split fins and dolphin encounters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes we make observations and draw correlations where there actually are other more significant yet un-noticed factors at play. A casual observer might mistakenly associate split-fins with dolphin afront, but an astute observer will recognize that it is actually whining that offends them most. I'm not saying split-finners are whiners, it's just that the person who made this claim might have seen a whiner in splits and assumed the offense was caused by the fins. It's not their fault though. I would assume that a dive op with any tenure is so desensitized to whining that he or she is probably deaf to it. Dolphins however have very sensitive hearing.

I know that the whiner thing is true because I need it to be. My daughters love dolphins and any time they are whining incessantly I say "The dolphins called and said to ask you to stop whining." They laugh and stop whining. Man those dolphins are smart.

-Ben

The spotted and bottlenose dolphins we snorkeled with didn't seem to care if some of us were wearing split fins. Video shot in June off Bimini while on the Easy Goin' liveaboard. Wild Dolphin Encounter

I spoke with a pod of dolphins last night about this very thing. Generally they don't like split fins, and they are sick and tired of people with black colored gear. They also don't like taco bell. :D

If this truly was a serious question, I think someone was pulling your leg.

Honest to god, I have heard it from about 4 different customers in the last month, and checking the internet I found a live aboard [SIZE=-1](www.[B]dolphins[/B]miles.co.uk/pages/dolphinswim.html)
that restricts their customers to non split fin gear (albeit for snorkeling) claiming that they don't offer enough resistance to swimming....(resistance to swimming?). Maybe dolphins are just happier to see DIR divers, or maybe it's just the mackerel in their BC pockets.

Thanks for the feedback :wink:

This job would be perfect if it weren't for all those pesky customers
[/SIZE]

The problem with split fins is if you cross the blades, life as we know it continues on unabated.

Maybe thier worried the dolphins may mistake you for another dolphin and get a little
too friendly.
I've had an encounter with wild spinners in Hawaii and they didn't care.

Terri

I think they may be referring to the Miami Dolphins and that they don't like Split Back Formations, not split fins.

Just a simple misunderstanding.
:D

fins2.gif

desertdiverNM:
Honest to god, I have heard it from about 4 different customers in the last month, and checking the internet I found a live aboard [SIZE=-1](www.[B]dolphins[/B]miles.co.uk/pages/dolphinswim.html)
that restricts their customers to non split fin gear (albeit for snorkeling) claiming that they don't offer enough resistance to swimming....(resistance to swimming?). Maybe dolphins are just happier to see DIR divers, or maybe it's just the mackerel in their BC pockets.
[/SIZE]

The Boat Operator is not restricting split fins, they are suggesting basically free diving fins. No booties, longest blade possible, closed heel! Free diving fins described to a tee!

The Captain's likely is not a fan of splits.

That is a website for what amounts too a travel agent. He is working hard at getting her trips paid for by basically copying half of the content from HERE. This is the real site where one can book trips onboard this craft as space is available for about $350 less.

uhhh... i think that the excursion company is simply referring snorkelers to non-splits because a) splits are not ideal for snorkeling IMHO, especially when kicking at the surface, despite my love for them diving and b) thus most people will have more fun as they snorkel / free-dive with equipment better suited to that activity and c) that with that little comment of trying to save their clientele money, maybe clients will have more left over for giving as tips.

i don't read anywhere in there that the dolphins are split fin adverse. unless somehow i just totally missed that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom