Split fin kick style?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With split fins you need to just swim with your arms and hands, probably best just to leave the fins on the boat/shore.

If you want to swim with your legs go get you some regular paddle fins and avoid the high tech gimmick garbage.

Yes, I have used splitfins before

There WAS a difference between splits and blades, however: Blades deliver more power per stroke. You can see this for yourself when you look at the video of a diver "swimming up" a 29 lb. weight in a pool (on SB, somewhere).

If anyone finds this video could you post it? I'm rather curious to see this :)

Thanks

With split fins you need to just swim with your arms and hands, probably best just to leave the fins on the boat/shore.

If you want to swim with your legs go get you some regular paddle fins and avoid the high tech gimmick garbage.

Yes, I have used splitfins before

If you need to use your arms and hands to swim with split fins then it's you that's the problem and not the fins.

Apparently you have used split fins before, but perhaps not correctly, heh?:wink:

The Pendargest study that taped the splits together also found, as have others, that the vents, holes, etc. in blades don't work as advertised either.

If you need to use your arms and hands to swim with split fins then it's you that's the problem and not the fins.

Apparently you have used split fins before, but perhaps not correctly, heh?:wink:

The only way I could get split fins to work for me was very high speed yet small flutters, and they worked alright, beyond that they were pretty well worthless.

Someone needs to post a video of someone froging into high current successfully, froging backwards with them, doing helicopter turns with them etc, then do the same in a paddle fin.

I just can't figure for the life of me why anyone would spend money on them when they can get better fins for cheaper. Good salesmen I guess.

The only way I could get split fins to work for me was very high speed yet small flutters, and they worked alright, beyond that they were pretty well worthless.

Someone needs to post a video of someone froging into high current successfully, froging backwards with them, doing helicopter turns with them etc, then do the same in a paddle fin.

I just can't figure for the life of me why anyone would spend money on them when they can get better fins for cheaper. Good salesmen I guess.

Maybe some divers don't need to frog kick into high current, or back kick or do helicopter turns.

If anyone finds this video could you post it? I'm rather curious to see this :)

Thanks

The video is the third of three videos posted by "Dave", post # 13 in the thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/322716-split-fin-vs-straight-fin.html

You will see that a diver can "swim up" 29 lbs with both blade and split fins. If you watch closely and time the kicks with a stop watch, you will see that the kicking is much faster with the split fins than with the blades.

funny, I was just thinking the same thing as the guy that posted those videos

"Here are a few videos I shot, which will prove absolutely nothing."

Split fins are great, they have made someone a WHOLE bunch of money

Back
Top Bottom