spitting blood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does this happen to you? If so, it's not supposed to. The external ear canal is not connected to the sinuses in any way.
I guess maybe I spoke out of turn. I do know that everytime I dive, my mask stays dry, and I have plenty of wet phlem. When diving near a body that is decomposing I am able to "taste" the "odor" (if that makes sense) though my mask is in place and no water gets inside and no water is seeping through my regulator. As the only open port would be my ears, I guess I assumed improperly, that was the connection. As far as bleeding, I have never had that issue. I stand corrected.

When diving near a body that is decomposing I am able to "taste" the "odor" (if that makes sense) though my mask is in place and no water gets inside and no water is seeping through my regulator. As the only open port would be my ears...

Try as you may, small amounts of water/dissolved gas are seeping between your lips and your regulator mouthpiece. That's where the smell is coming from. Decomposing bodies present a significant biological hazard. You may want to consider a positive pressure FFM and a drysuit with integrated hood when performing recoveries. Thanks for doing what you do.

Best,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom