Spinal Cord DCS experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear about your husband's unfortunate accident and I hope he recovers fully soon.

Is it confirmed DCS or AGE (Arterial Gas Embolism)?
The symptoms sound somewhat like AGE, and it is a risk of the asthma.

Here's some info on diving with Albuterol:
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/your_body/this_is_your_dive_on_drugs/3
Potential dive dangers: Though some asthma medications can cause racing heartbeat, the real risk is the condition. People with asthma tend to get air trapped in their lungs, which predisposes them to arterial gas embolism (AGE) when they ascend. "Even swimming to the boat is risky. Most asthma-related accidents happen on the surface because aerosols of salt water can provoke hyperactive airways."

Hangingupthewetsuit:
Do you think that the patch or the Albuterol was the problem?
I wouldn't think so - I think this will go down as "unexplained hit."

<EDIT> Just saw your post MoonWrasse - glad you chimed in here.... :thumb:

I consulted with DAN and found them extemely helpful. Being once a year vacation divers, we didn't know about DAN insurance and what a benefit it is to have. If I ever dive again, I will join DAN.

Hangingupthewetsuit:
I consulted with DAN and found them extemely helpful. Being once a year vacation divers, we didn't know about DAN insurance and what a benefit it is to have. If I ever dive again, I will join DAN.
Did they seem to think it was DCS, or AGE as MoonWrasse suggested?

Hangingupthewetsuit:
DAN is the one to ask medical questions of, not us happy campers on a public forum :)

It very well could be the meds or the profile, who really knows. There are many reasons divers get hits.

"At this point I'm looking for (and sympathize with) anyone with this experience. We are wondering what to expect next. Also, any constructive recommendations are welcome."

Hi Hangingupthewetsuit,

You have my sympathy and support.

I had a spinal DCSII hit in August of 2004. (Also an "unexpected/undeserved" hit)

There is an old thread on that experience: "Bent Bad in Grand Cayman" (last post Nov.2004, I think) with the specifics of that day, and the next few months.There are some similarities and differences to your husband's circumstances.
It might be worth reading for details (?) [Sorry,I'm not computer savvy enough to make a "link".]

A few thoughts:

Calling DAN was a great move- they have the knowledge and experience in these matters. Also, I have/had their insurance, and it helped $$.

Thank God the flight home didn't result in exacerbating the DCS symptoms.

Althought I read the thread: I may have missed : Has anyone suggested your husband get checked for a PFO? ( A heart structure related condition.)

While "what to expect next" varies tremendously from person to person, I had:

Fatigue for 6 months which gradually lessened from extreme (3+ months), to noticeable, to almost gone.

Paresthesia (sp??)-the tingling/pins and needles feeling in my lower legs) 24/7 for 9-10 months following the hit.

Some "collateral damage" to the legs (feet, knees, ankle, hip) caused by a jolting impact/landing (courtesy of the spine not properly "communicating" with the legs) when I jumped off the boat onto the beach. These created some difficulties in walking. There are still some effects to these areas, for which the Drs. mostly, but not completely, have ruled out neurological causes.

As for suggestions- Take things slowly; try to not get frustrated if things seem to not be improving - it can take a while; Listen to the Drs.; be supportive of each other - remember you are both going through this experience.

Hoping your husband makes a full and rapid recovery.

Take care,
Mike

Al Mialkovsky:
DAN is the one to ask medical questions of, not us happy campers on a public forum :)

It very well could be the meds or the profile, who really knows. There are many reasons divers get hits.

First, thank you all for your kind words. Also, thank you for those that are asking whether it's DCS or AGE. Don't know. The docs at Stanford are consulting with DAN. They are leaning toward DCS but there are things that are atypical about it. Regarding the above, I didn't initially ask medical questions, but for experiences. I thought this was the accidents forum. What a better place to gather information that could improve one's condition or save a life? We're under the care of top neurologist's at Stanford. I'm not doubting them, rather trying to understand this and gather as much information as I can. I think my 3 young boys would like to see their dad walking again.

Hangingupthewetsuit:
First, thank you all for your kind words. Also, thank you for those that are asking whether it's DCS or AGE. Don't know. The docs at Stanford are consulting with DAN. They are leaning toward DCS but there are things that are atypical about it. Regarding the above, I didn't initially ask medical questions, but for experiences. I thought this was the accidents forum. What a better place to gather information that could improve one's condition or save a life? We're under the care of top neurologist's at Stanford. I'm not doubting them, rather trying to understand this and gather as much information as I can. I think my 3 young boys would like to see their dad walking again.

Hearing things like this scare the hell out of me. That dive profile sounds so safe that it is hard to imagine it had anything to do with the dive alone but more a combination of the asthma, meds and the dive? Was your husband cleared to dive by a doctor? Anyone diving must have PADI or DAN Dive Ins

Hope he makes a full recovery. Best wishes.

miked:
There is an old thread on that experience: "Bent Bad in Grand Cayman" (last post Nov.2004, I think) with the specifics of that day, and the next few months.There are some similarities and differences to your husband's circumstances.
It might be worth reading for details (?) [Sorry,I'm not computer savvy enough to make a "link".]

Here's the link: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=69551&highlight=bent+bad+in+grand+cayman

I hope your husband has a speedy recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom