Spiegle Grove elevator.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
What is that part of the Spiegel grove N of the middle mooring that's like an open elevator shaft? I think someone said wheel house. Is that right?

No one knows? I'm trying to tell someone what to ask about. Its not literally an elevator, but a vertical shaft from one side of the boat to the other i.e. from the top of the wreck to the bottom. The effect is that of jumping in an elevator shaft and popping out through a cut-out at what ever depth you like. Its cool. But what's it called?

evad:
No one knows? I'm trying to tell someone what to ask about. Its not literally an elevator, but a vertical shaft from one side of the boat to the other i.e. from the top of the wreck to the bottom. The effect is that of jumping in an elevator shaft and popping out through a cut-out at what ever depth you like. Its cool. But what's it called?

I believe that is the wheel house. I was in it on my only dive on the Spiegel. We stacked 3 divers in it vertically ... It was really neat ...

Jean

jeandiver:
I believe that is the wheel house. I was in it on my only dive on the Spiegel. We stacked 3 divers in it vertically ... It was really neat ...

Jean

Thanks Jean. It was my only dive there too. Okay, if you want to do this dive, tell 'em you want to go to the wheel house.

It is the wheel house, or superstructure. Cool thing is, you can pick a depth and then go horiz into the ship.

mempilot:
It is the wheel house, or superstructure. Cool thing is, you can pick a depth and then go horiz into the ship.

Yeah. Even if you just shine your light in for a look. Its cool.

evad:
What is that part of the Spiegel grove N of the middle mooring that's like an open elevator shaft? I think someone said wheel house. Is that right?

Are you talking about the square hole in the side of the ship, now the top sense it's sitting on it side? If so I believe this was originally supposed to be a swim through from one side of the ship to the other. Now that it's sitting on it's side it's a hole to no where as it just leads to the sand at the other side/bottom.

Take a look at the picture and see if it looks like the hole you're talking about.

Two questions, is the opening square like the one in Scott's picture or Oval like a hatch? The entrance to the wheel house is a hatch.
Do you remember the depth? The Wheel hose starts at about 75-80' & drops down to 105ish. Those cutouts in the picture are probably about 60-65' .

Padipro:
Are you talking about the square hole in the side of the ship, now the top sense it's sitting on it side? If so I believe this was originally supposed to be a swim through from one side of the ship to the other. Now that it's sitting on it's side it's a hole to no where as it just leads to the sand at the other side/bottom.

Take a look at the picture and see if it looks like the hole you're talking about.

Thanks for the picture. I don't recognize any of it, buts its been a couple(?) of years and as I follow someone else and came drifting back along the outside of the wreck, I didn't get a real good look at the entrance. The one I'm talking about had cut-outs along the side/ceiling all the way down so you could pop out easily when ever you wanted. I popped out around 110' so I didn't get to the end. I think, as was said above, its the wheel house. There are some electrical panel boxes and maybe a plaque.
In any case, I would like to make sure I can find it again and recommend it to others.
Its a really neat descent. Send more pictures. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom