Spiegel Grove last Weds. on Blue Water Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc, very nice video. I'm thoroughly tempted to make the switch to a real video camera after seeing your footage.
I think we have a few people from our area coming out to dive with you soon, that cold water is a bit much for us locals....

"3:03 on the timer, divers are in ship with some holes on the side. Daylight can be seen. No lines. Definitely an overhead environment.

@2:53 on the timer of that clip, diver goes in to hole to go to deck below. Now two decks in, no lines. Definitely an overhead environment.

Meng Tze, good analysis I'm sure our opinions on overhead differ somewhat but not totally. I'm always comfortable with my exit in sight and easily accessible with my eyes closed. However I'm always open to modifying my "Habits" in the interest of safety.
This is good fodder for a startup thread(Hint Hint) on this subject.
Henry

Doc, very nice video. I'm thoroughly tempted to make the switch to a real video camera after seeing your footage.
I think we have a few people from our area coming out to dive with you soon, that cold water is a bit much for us locals....

Yep, we just had Michael and Leya come out and dive with us this past weekend. I can say that's it much easier for me, coming from colder water, 50 degrees, to come out to Florida (87 degrees F) than it is for someone used to warm water to come dive with us in California. There's definitely more equipment and new task loading. Still Michael and Leya did very well.

I'm looking forward to more of you guys coming out and visiting us in Northern California.

Here's a video of me, Michael and Leya's dive in Monterey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCsf-ha8LlQ

"
Meng Tze, good analysis I'm sure our opinions on overhead differ somewhat but not totally. I'm always comfortable with my exit in sight and easily accessible with my eyes closed. However I'm always open to modifying my "Habits" in the interest of safety.
This is good fodder for a startup thread(Hint Hint) on this subject.
Henry
Not sure how/why our opinions of overhead environment could be different in relation to diving.

I am sure you dive within your comfort level and feel confident about how you do things. No issues there. No need to start a different thread.

It just struck me that a T1 diver entered an overhead environment without a line and posted video of that on a Doing It Right forum...... That is all.

It just struck me that a T1 diver entered an overhead environment without a line and posted video of that on a Doing It Right forum...... That is all.

I guess if you want to get even more nit-picky (or whatever), T1 does not qualify a diver for physical overhead diving, just Open Water deco diving.

So absent cave1 (or cave2 for wreck diving beyond MDL's) then T1 divers are supposed to have no business going inside a wreck of any kind.

Were you physically able to ascend directly to the surface?

1) If yes, see "open water."

2) If no, see "overhead environment."

Just ask the guy who had three buddies die in the Grove a few months ago. Or another GUE trained diver pair who decided they would go into a wreck...and one of them wound up shooting to the surface after getting out of their rig while stuck in the wreck.

Sure, T1 is a "deco overhead," but you can always go straight up. Just maybe not immediately.

Nice video. I'm surprised how well your video came out, for a camera.

I was out on the SG that day too. In the morning. Four of us went out with Horizon Divers and did some lite penetration too. Always a fun dive.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom