Spiegel Grove last Weds. on Blue Water Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLDVR

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, heres a quick video shot with my Oly 5050 in video mode. May one day I'll get a good shot:D
We still had more fun than a barrel of monkeys......
Blue water Divers took just us 2 out, what a treat!
Hope everyone had a great weekend, I'm back to work tomorrow and not looking forward to it.

Henry

Looks awesome. I was just there a couple of months ago on the Spiegel Grove. I also dove with a group of So Florida DIR divers and had a great time diving the wrecks out there.

But I do have to ask: who was running line (Or did I just miss that in the way the video was cut)?

Rainman, thanks for asking about the line!, yes its a bit of creative license on my part to aim the camera away from the swim thrus:D
Henry

Hmm,
Penetration vs. swim through.

@3:03 on the timer, divers are in ship with some holes on the side. Daylight can be seen. No lines. Definitely an overhead environment.

@2:53 on the timer of that clip, diver goes in to hole to go to deck below. Now two decks in, no lines. Definitely an overhead environment.

I was taught that every time you go into an overhead environment, you run a continuous line. I think that is separate from what the boats call it. They are not with me down there when it gets silted up in that 'swim through'.

I don't know, but did GUE change that requirement in any of the standards and practices? I could be misinformed.

Swim though only guys... sorry to disappoint the conspiracy theory. Creative editing and video work makes this very confusing and gives the illusion of real danger:D
Is there some risk? sure, we are inside the wreck. But besides that heres what you dont see.

First, the camera is an Oly c-5050 set in video mode, it is not a video camera and picks up and shows less than 50% of what available light is present. (Talk to other camera owners).
Second, popping thru deck plates into another swim thru area, no big problem, I'd be willing to bet that you wont see the camera pan to large openings(creative filming):D

Third, this is not one of the most dangerous areas of the ship, we did not visit the engine room or any other area that might even come close to putting us at adverse risk.

Fourth, Heres a real big one! pay attention!!!!:no
At the end of the first clip, minute 2:53? I filmed up to a very interesting hatch and peeked in.(Big clue here) that was the end, that's an overhead enviroment!!!

I should have a string where I can lower the camera into areas like that and really have some fun with people:D

All in all it was a blast, I had fun was safe and thats what the spiegle grove in certain areas is really good for! I always look forward to returning.

If this still doesnt put the issue to rest then we have other issues at play here...

Everyone have a great day, I'm off to work:(
Henry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom