Spiegel Grove current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my experience of doing two holiday dives on the SG. The current was insane. I have dived in strong currents previously, but always as drift dives. It was a struggle holding on to the line. Water leaking in through side of mask if head turned sideways. Spent the whole (short) dive in the lee of the wreck. It is a great dive, but can be very challenging. Not a site for beginners.

i just dove the SG on may 17 2014 on the Ocean divers afternoon charter (boat: blue kai). conditions were a bit sporty on the surface but underwater was wonderful with minimal current if any and 100 ft vis...just caught a good day i guess.

I have a lot of dives on the Speigel Grove, well over fifty anyway. First off, it's not a wreck: it's an artificial reef. Wrecks entail a lot of screaming, and while there was a ton of cussing as this went down, it was sunk on purpose.

Secondly, I have never had more than a knot's current while diving her and even that was rare. I almost always get to drift down and up. While gloves are allowed, I've never used them. I've had plenty of current on the Duane and the Vendenberg, but never on the Grove. I've always had a nice relaxing dive each and every time.

I agree that your buoyancy and trim should be excellent.
You should have a good grip on your SAC rate and dive planning.
Situational and buddy awareness are imperative as they are for any deep dive.
I often mark the buoy line with whatever I have.
Go slow. The slower you go the longer your air will last and the more you will see.
Take time to view over the sides of the boat.

Most importantly, relax and have fun. Almost every boat here in the Keys will run a granny line from the buoy to the stern on most deep artificial reefs so getting there, even in a current, should be doable. Here's the key: if your hand is on a line, you shouldn't be kicking. It's like climbing a rope, only you're inverted (head down) and it's not nearly as hard.

I dove the S.G. yesterday 5/18. Little to no noticeable current and blue water with good viz. Topside it was fairly rough. A few divers including my wife were feeding the fish. I enjoyed the dive immensely.

Ok... I stand corrected on the gloves. I had not been on the wreck since 2011 and was told by Ocean Divers that gloves could not be worn, so I had a couple of "do rags" wrapped over my holding hand - was that a glove? All that other stuff is not as bad now... Oh yeah, be sure to take your snorkel in case you have to labor on the surface. DO this dive and you won't be disappointed.

I want to clear up something I left hanging. I went back to my notes after I made the post and it was noted that I was told that gloves could not be worn in the marine sanctuary. So I did not bring my gloves on the wreck dive because I took them out of my boat bag. Not the fault of the operator... I have nothing but the best regard for Ocean Divers since that bunch runs a very good operation. As for who told me about the gloves, I am not sure... just made a note of it. Part of the problem is that I don't keep paper logs anymore, just computer logs which I rarely make comment.

I'm scheduled to make one of my rare Key Largo appearances there with Quiescence on Sunday morning. I haven't been on the Spiegel or Duane for about eight years now and figured with Katherine in the general area it was a good excuse to drop down.

To my recollection the current varies. My first time back in 2005 (before it was righted) we ended up finishing the dive by drifting down the well deck. I'm not sure if it was excitement or narcosis, but as we neared the stern gate I oriented my feet to the deck and did my impression of a Marine storming the beach. Wish we'd had GoPros back then ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zero current reported on the duane and SG all week(including this AM), for operators willing to brave the blustery winds/seas. marine forecast improving Friday thru the holiday weekend,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

It's been a few years since I dove it, but there was little or no current. I think in Key Largo, it just depends on the day. I had the same experience with the Duane. I was lucky!

As far as number of dives - I think that is highly dependent on the diver. My husband and I did a double dip on it with 10 or less dives. We had to hire a guide to go with and he offered to make it certifying dives counting towards our AOW (we were diving the next day also, so we finished our AOW cert the next day). If you don't have AOW and can swing that, I would recommend. It enabled us to walk into a dive shop the following year and request to dive the Duane with only 12 dives under our belts. The dive shop said they typically wouldn't send people with only 12 dives out on the Duane alone, but they could tell that we were responsible and knew what we were doing. It was the first dive that the two of us did alone (no other divers or dive boats on the ship. We just had a captain to drive us to and from the wreck).

Did a double dip on the SG 5/29 with Conch Republic. Great outfit. Thanks Admiral Brenda for the afternoon SG double dip mid-week (we were the Customer choosers) No current, 1 to 2 rollers, 50 ft. viz, fun dives. Nothing AOW or mildly experienced OW couldn't handle. There's plenty to do at 75' on the wreck so nitrox isn't a must for a nice dive (it's better with nitrox, but just sayin'). You don't have to go to the sand. Some deep recreational wrecks aren't like that. The Aldolphus Busch off Looe Key is one. The deck is at 95' and the best swim throughs are in the holds. That one is nearly a bounce dive on air. Hope you have fun on the SG if you make it.

Last September with Rainbow Reef Dive Center out of Key Largo we headed out on the morning boat for a deep wreck dive; I believe dive 1 would've been the Spiegel Grove. A pair of guys got on; young, fit-looking, the main one I recall was athletic looking. They didn't get to do that dive as they didn't have AOW. The Captain was willing to take a look at their logbooks, but they didn't have those along, either.

So if someone wants to do a deep wreck dive, and has OW but lacks AOW or Deep Diver, you'd better call ahead and be ready to make the case before you pay for & get on a boat and miss a dive.

This is a reasonable thing; a fairly 'green' OW graduate may not be used to diving without an instructor, going through gas fast at depth, handling anxiety without panicking in the event of trouble, and may be untried in terms of narcosis susceptibility. I can imagine such a person being nervous and shy, slow to gear up, hanging back and going in last, and at the back of the group where he's least likely to be noticed if current sweeps him off or he runs out of air.

Richard.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom