Trip Report Spiegel Grove and Benwood with Conch Republic Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heftysmurf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A little under the weather so yes, another post today.

On Sunday I went with my LDS down to the Keys to dive the Spiegel Grove. It was supposed to be a double dip -- more on that later. We went with Conch Republic this time and it was my first time with them. They were phenomenal and didn't expect anything less based on what I've heard. The boat was comfy and had two ladders, one finless, one finned. Cool. I was working on my wreck speciality so not too many pictures.

Heading out to the SG was cake and flat as can be. Excited to get into the water, we got our brief with my other student who was with me for his wreck speciality. Slates ready, reels, all of our fun stuff. We got down and current was pretty, hmmm.."robust." First order of business was to take the rest of the folks with our LDS to see Snoopy then we'd break off and do our thing and they'd go with the DM. Once out of the mess decks, current certainly picked up and I have no idea how I blew through so much gas. We decided after a short 30 mins or so to head to the line and begin making our way up. HOLY SMOKES!!! RIPPPPPING. That's why we train folks! Mask kept trying to fly off and heck, I had to chomp on my reg to keep it in place. It definitely snuck up as heading down it was not like that.

Topside, skipper said he's taking us to the Benwood. Much much better conditions and while not a lot of areas to do line work, this was my second day doing my wreck spec as the first day we were in Broward and went through a lot of skills there. While wrapping line, some fire coral kissed me and yes, YOU CAN swear through your reg!

Lots of life on the Benwood. SG was kind of sharky. No big Goliath's, but plenty of Cuda's. Finished up our skills on Benwood after an hour or so and back topside, we were just ready to jump in the truck and head home! So much fun but it takes it out of you!

Attachments

• IMG_9896.jpeg
    IMG_9896.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9897.jpeg
    IMG_9897.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9909.JPG
    IMG_9909.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9900.jpeg
    IMG_9900.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9948.jpeg
    IMG_9948.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 27
A little under the weather so yes, another post today.

On Sunday I went with my LDS down to the Keys to dive the Spiegel Grove. It was supposed to be a double dip -- more on that later. We went with Conch Republic this time and it was my first time with them. They were phenomenal and didn't expect anything less based on what I've heard. The boat was comfy and had two ladders, one finless, one finned. Cool. I was working on my wreck speciality so not too many pictures.

Heading out to the SG was cake and flat as can be. Excited to get into the water, we got our brief with my other student who was with me for his wreck speciality. Slates ready, reels, all of our fun stuff. We got down and current was pretty, hmmm.."robust." First order of business was to take the rest of the folks with our LDS to see Snoopy then we'd break off and do our thing and they'd go with the DM. Once out of the mess decks, current certainly picked up and I have no idea how I blew through so much gas. We decided after a short 30 mins or so to head to the line and begin making our way up. HOLY SMOKES!!! RIPPPPPING. That's why we train folks! Mask kept trying to fly off and heck, I had to chomp on my reg to keep it in place. It definitely snuck up as heading down it was not like that.

Topside, skipper said he's taking us to the Benwood. Much much better conditions and while not a lot of areas to do line work, this was my second day doing my wreck spec as the first day we were in Broward and went through a lot of skills there. While wrapping line, some fire coral kissed me and yes, YOU CAN swear through your reg!

Lots of life on the Benwood. SG was kind of sharky. No big Goliath's, but plenty of Cuda's. Finished up our skills on Benwood after an hour or so and back topside, we were just ready to jump in the truck and head home! So much fun but it takes it out of you!

Sounds like you make the best out of a so-so situation.

I was also out on Sunday, just a bit north outside of Key Biscayne diving the Tacoma, which is about 145 feet to the sand. Also smooth as glass going out, but the surface current down to about 80 feet was among the strongest I've experienced in the past five years. Both divemasters said that it was the worst they had ever experienced. Many people called the dive within minutes, and we sought refuge on a safer, shallower site. Not the two deep dives we were looking for, but the second one was quite beautiful.

Given the massive rains today, I don't have good hopes for this diving in South Florida this weekend. But you never know...

Sounds like you make the best out of a so-so situation.

I was also out on Sunday, just a bit north outside of Key Biscayne diving the Tacoma, which is about 145 feet to the sand. Also smooth as glass going out, but the surface current down to about 80 feet was among the strongest I've experienced in the past five years. Both divemasters said that it was the worst they had ever experienced. Many people called the dive within minutes, and we sought refuge on a safer, shallower site. Not the two deep dives we were looking for, but the second one was quite beautiful.

Given the massive rains today, I don't have good hopes for this diving in South Florida this weekend. But you never know...
Wild that current was ripping up the coast. Definitely had a better time at the Benwood. I've already thumbed diving this weekend as I just found out I have an ear infection! Woo hoo! :|

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom