Spiegel Grove 7-30-06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvrgaryc

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Dive boat: Big Dipper, Florida Keys Dive Center
Weather conditions: East winds 10-12 mph; sunny skies; air temp 86 degrees
Water conditions: Seas 3-5 feet; water temp 85 degrees; visibility 75 feet; no current

First off, I really enjoyed working with the guys at Florida Keys Dive Center. Compared to the previous shop I was working with, Greg, Dave and the rest of the crew were the ultimate professionals. Unfortunately, I'm a bit spoiled now, because I don't think I want to dive from any other boat but a Newton. In comparison to the old and slow boats that Atlantis has, a Newton seems like an aircraft carrier in terms of space onboard. Anyways, about the dive. Seas were a little bit bumpy on the ride out and a few people were "feeling the need for Dramamine" (sorry, couldn't resist:D ). Got to the site and had a few other boats tied off to the forward mooring balls, so we tied off to the ball attached to the crane on the port side of the ship. Entered the water and used the tag line to get forward of the boat. Had very little current but had to contend with the surge. Once I got below 15 feet, surge all but disappeared and did a free-fall descent to the wreck. I waited next to the crane for the rest of the group I was diving with to get to the bottom. Visibility was excellent, absolutely zero current, and no thermocline. Swan forward along the port rail above the well deck to the observation booth above the well deck. Had my buddy take a few pictures of me inside the observation booth and one above it holding out the American flag that someone placed there. Went around the anti-aircraft gun emplacements on the port side and returned to the mooring line. During the ascent and safety stop, I was looking at the rope going through the buoy at 15 feet and noticed that it was frayed down to the diameter of my little finger. The rest of the rope was about 1" thick, so I was a little concerned that the mooring buoy line could break and the boat drift away. (Another example for NOT leaving a boat unattended). Completed my safety stop without incident and told the captain about the frayed line. All in all, a good trip and a great dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom