• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Spiegel Grove 10th Anniversary - Key Largo

Discussion in 'Florida' started by timg, May 17, 2012.

1. timg

timg Professional Photographer

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Yesterday the news crews and our local lead photo guys (Stephen Frink and Frazier Nivens) did a great piece on the SG. Arranged by Andy Newman. Thanks for that. Very nice piece and when I find the link I'll post it here.

So today was the un-official celebration. Lizzie McNamee from Ocean Divers planted the dive operators' flag to celebrate SG's 10th and honor those who served aboard.

Fun day - cloudy, smooth seas, low light, a whisper of current, 78 water temp 60-70 viz on SG, 40-ish on French (you can tell I'm being trained by Reefman to write this).

Lizzie is a great diver and teacher and Key Largo will miss her when she heads to BVI in a couple weeks for an awesome gig she has lined up.

Thanks Lizzie and congratulations on the BVI opportunity!

_DSC2159.jpg _DSC9092-Edit.jpg _DSC9114-Edit.jpg _DSC9140.jpg _DSC9148.jpg _DSC9158-Edit.jpg _DSC9184-Edit.jpg _DSC9206-Edit.jpg _DSC9238.jpg _DSC9250-Edit.jpg _DSC9262.jpg _DSC9339.jpg _DSC9352.jpg _DSC9391-Edit.jpg _DSC9461.jpg

2. fisheyeview

fisheyeview Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Great shots Tim. Did the Grove once when it was still on it's side. Will have to give it another try. I always opt for the Duane.

3. timg

Thanks FE. Duane is a great dive, I like it just as much as SG. SG is huge, needs to be done in several dives to see it all. Very different profiles for different parts of the ship.

4. LynnB

LynnB Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    We did it on its side and upright!!!!!!!!! Love that dive!!!!

5. deeper thoughts

deeper thoughts Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Great pix as usual

6. Scubagirlfl

Scubagirlfl Nassau Grouper

Ditto:cheerleader:

7. DennisW

DennisW Solo Diver

I had just moved to Virginia when they moved the SG from the dead fleet to the docks for preparation. I went to the docks and tried to get on board, but I couldn't. I dived her when she was newly sank and on her side and I've dived her several times since. Great dive and it is so nice that I've seen her on the James River, on the Elizabeth River docks, and off the keys.

8. timg

Thank you DT and Scubagirlfl.

Dennis, I lived in VA Beach in the 1990's went up and saw the ghost fleet, but of course never thought I'd see one of those ships again.
    I lived in Chick's Beach, where were you?