spg placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
reading the AI computer thread, I thought about something I have been doing for years that is not DIR, but I find very useful. I didnt want to hijack the thread, but here is something that I would like to hear informed DIR opinions upon.

I clip my SPG to the left chest D-Ring rather than the left waist D-Ring. I find it shortens the hose and improves streamlining, it dosent interfere with anything I might want to clip off on ly left waist D-Ring (like stages) and even better gives me a "head down, hands free display" (all I have to do is look down) rather than unclip to bring the gauge into view.

does anyone else do this?? or is it just this heretic???

Mark, dude, you put this question in the DIR forum, where they've already made up their mind! Would have had better responses in the HOG forum.

I, too, wear my SPG on the left chest. You don't HAVE to clip and unclip because you can see it -- not only does it not get in the way of stages, but you can also see it -- not only does it not interfere with the backup lights, but you don't use the backup lights and you have another on the other chest D-Ring -- you would not have to unclip to ditch the gear because you can don and doff your gear with it clipped, I do it often. I'm sure it does indeed affect my streamlining and water resistance -- about as much as the hole punched through my hood to let out trapped air.

Hope I didn't anger anyone by posting in this area. I started out with my SPG clipped to the waist, and later found I like this other way better. I have seen it written that the DIR configuration "evolves". Perhaps it will one day evolve in this direction.

theskull

akscubainst:
I think it all boils down to personal preference.

Dave

Actually, it doesn't. This is a DIR forum. The SPG is placed on the left hip D-ring.

detroit diver:
Actually, it doesn't. This is a DIR forum. The SPG is placed on the left hip D-ring.

Of course since this is the DIR forum, you are right.

Dave

When I started diving a BP/W, I clipped the SPG to the L chest D-ring.

When I took the DIRf class, I switched to the L hip placement to comply with the class, thinking I could always change back after the class.....

When I finished the class, I kept it on the L hip as it turned out with a little practice, it wasn't a big deal at all, actually did seem more streamlined and didn't get in the way of doffing my rig.

Then I took Tech1 and found out it really does work better there when using deco bottles, even just a single AL40! :11: Yes, I tried it on the chest D ring just 'cause people on SB argue about it - it was a royal PITA and turned out it was much more out of the way and actually easier to clip and unclip without looking (with practice, of course) when clipped on the L hip D ring than on the L chest D ring.

Robert Phillips:
Then your hose is too long! I could do this also until I got a 24'' hose. In my avatar pic you can see it sticking out a little too far, that was the 30'' hose that came with the guage.
Uh, I don't have a problem seeing the SPG on a 24" hose without unclipping with the BigEyes mask.

Scubaroo:
Uh, I don't have a problem seeing the SPG on a 24" hose without unclipping with the BigEyes mask.

But the big eyes mask wouldn't be DIR since it's not low profile. Right?

cancun mark:
reading the AI computer thread, I thought about something I have been doing for years that is not DIR, but I find very useful. I didnt want to hijack the thread, but here is something that I would like to hear informed DIR opinions upon.

I clip my SPG to the left chest D-Ring rather than the left waist D-Ring. I find it shortens the hose and improves streamlining, it dosent interfere with anything I might want to clip off on ly left waist D-Ring (like stages) and even better gives me a "head down, hands free display" (all I have to do is look down) rather than unclip to bring the gauge into view.

does anyone else do this?? or is it just this heretic???

On balance I think I like it better on the chest but I´ll occasionally move it to the hip to practice predicting usage and I find that if I leave it up that I peek :) I don't find it in the way in either location.

R..

Snowbear:
When I started diving a BP/W, I clipped the SPG to the L chest D-ring.

When I took the DIRf class, I switched to the L hip placement to comply with the class, thinking I could always change back after the class.....

Agreed. I clipped mine to my left chest d-ring because the Suunto HP hose that came with the spg is too long.

I'm taking DIR-F right now and even though it's kinda messed up and longer than it needs to be (I have the correct size hose at home, just need to hook it up), it is so much more intuitive to check it from the waist. I planned on going with what was more comfortable after the class is over, but left hip is where it will stay, just too smooth there.

Besides, if someone is truly horizontal in the water, just looking down & over should allow one to see their SPG.

Ben_ca:
But the big eyes mask wouldn't be DIR since it's not low profile. Right?

No, you're not right. Big eyes is low profile mask.

MonkSeal:
No, you're not right. Big eyes is low profile mask.

Maybe so, but look at the silly name they gave it. <g>

DIR worked much better when it wasn't attempting to teach the mainstream. Those that really saw the light and didn't try to come up with their own "personal preference" changes were the only people using the system. The SPG goes on the left d-ring because it is the best place for it. Period. No bend in the hose to add drag, get in the way where it can snag something (this is the worst hose to break), or add (very minor) extra stress. On cave dives using stages, you generally don't ever look at the spg, because all of your hoses are routed to hear leaks and you aren't breathing the back gas. On open water dives, single or double tank, you should be striving to know exactly where your gas will be before you check your spg. Therefore, you only rarely check it to "make sure." Remember, hoses are routed to hear leaks so you should only be using gas breathing. If you want to clip the hose to your left chest d-ring fine. But it isn't remotely DIR. Don't try to mess with the system because you think you know more than far more experienced divers who have already worked it out. Clipping and unclipping the SPG is easy, hooking it to stages is a rookie mistake. Practice and these perceived problems all go away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom