SPG location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, DIR recommends the SPG be on a 24" hose clipped to the left waist D-ring...

Just wondering, what would the disadvantages be, if it was bundled together with the inflator hose over your shoulder instead? Is it a hazard in that area? Wouldn't it be easier to read if it passed over your shoulder, and stopped right after your inflator hose, rather than on your waist? Just a thought.

I prefer to keep the inflator unabstructed. Not just for easy buoyancy adjustment but id an inflator sticks and I have to disconnect the hose quicly I don't want anything in the way. For that matter I prefer to keep the front of my as uncluttered as I can. I don't need to be able to see it all the time so I don't need it in front og me.

If you were carrying stages or deco bottles, it seems like the gauge routed with the inflator would be in the way.

:O wow! That's exactly what I was thinking of... I've never seen that site before... and I've never heard of anyone grouping their SPG with the inflator...which is why I asked if it was dangerous to begin with.

Cool! My original reason for thinking up this config, was to mimic a hoseless SPG... placing the SPG closer to the face as possible for easier viewing.

I originally thought of routing it with your arm, but then the potential entanglement hazard might be worse.

Then I thought of grouping it with the inflator, since by doing this, it would almost make your rig feel like it had 1 less hose.

If you try rigging it this way, just make sure that the SPG is not going to interfere with your abiliity to manually inflate your BC using your mouth.

I wanted to route the SPG off my left stem just behind my shoulder, underneath my arm pit along the underside of my arm (attached using two pieces of velcro - one nearer to my shoulder, and one near my wrist) with the SPG being located somewhere near my wrist computer. That way when I look at my computer I can also see my SPG. Entanglement would be minimized because there would be no excess hose hanging loose, and it would be tucked tightly under my arm. If I needed to I could rip the velcro straps off. To me this sounds logical. I can accomplish two critical tasks at the same time - look at my computer and SPG at the same time. Otherwise I would have to look at my computer, and then fumble for my SPG elsewhere on my body.

Currently I hooked my SPG under my left armpit, accross my chest to a D-Ring higher up on my right chest. When I look down I have a tendancy to flood my mask. Sure, this is probably a mask problem, and I need to look into it. Still, it is very difficult to see my SPG at all through the water in my mask. I do want to try to put my SPG on a retractor so that I can pull it in front of me.

I do not like the idea of routing the SPG right next to the dump valve. To me this would get confusing. I reach for my dump, and get my SPG instead. Or, I get both at the same time. I had the same difficulty when I was wearing my snorkel. I would reach in the general vicinity of the dump valve, and I would grab my snorkel instead. It felt like the dump valve.

oharag

PS I may purchase a SPG with integrated compass. This would negate my routing scheme presented above. I may just go with a retractor then.

As you can tell I like simplifying/integrating things. I thought about buying an ait integrated computer with compass attached (ie. Uwatec SmartCon). It just seems that this is just too bulky. And I would need an SPG for backup anyway.

With your spg clipped to your left shoulder D ring, you can look down and there it is right in front of you, easy viewing. You do not need to reach down for it, like the DIRs do.

I prefer to attach mine to the intermediate left D ring. It's not quite as low as having it on my waist but doesn't interfere with operation of the inflator either. And Mike makes a great point that you really don't want anything blocking you from disconnecting the inflator if you have to.

If you cannot see the SPG while it is attached low, consider putting it on a retractable lanyard. When you need to view it you just pull it out. When your done, let go and it finds its own way home.

Back
Top Bottom