SPG Clip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skippyscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a quick question on clipping an SPG to a harness. Is there any reason why DIR says to use a bolt snap over say a plastic hose clip? (This is the clip I've got)

I mainly ask because I'll be using a standard octo clipped to my left hip D-ring rather than a long hose or any other configuration, so a plastic 2 hose clip will work well for me to hold my SPG and octo.

Thanks

Looks like you would end up struggling with unclipping/clipping the thing. And... Octo and spg on the same clip? Never heard that one before...

A boltsnap attached with appropriate line is durable, easy to clip on/clip off. Can be cut in case of entanglement and follows rule #6.

The octo should either be bungeed around your neck and you donate a long hose, or like almost EVERY agency teaches, the octo should be in the triangle and be able to be grabbed WITHOUT having to unclip anything, but instead come free with a tug.

SPG on a bolt snap tied on with cave line works great!

Curious as to why not a long hose and a bungee backup? It is streamlined and works beautifully.

Reactions: KJ.
For a standard configuration the octo is on the right, SPG is on the left. Thus the clip could not be used for both.

That said using such a clip would not be a preferred option because the hose can come off from it at inopportune times. While pretty secure a bump can be enough to dislodge the hose. Using a bolt snap is a secure connection yet if necessary it can be cut off - it cave line is used. There is also a durability issue - think about a cylinder accidentally hitting it.

Looks like you would end up struggling with unclipping/clipping the thing.

The clip is actually pretty good, easy to get the octo with a tug but doesn't come out on its own, same with the spg.

The octo should either be bungeed around your neck and you donate a long hose, or like almost EVERY agency teaches, the octo should be in the triangle and be able to be grabbed WITHOUT having to unclip anything, but instead come free with a tug.

SPG on a bolt snap tied on with cave line works great!

Curious as to why not a long hose and a bungee backup? It is streamlined and works beautifully.

Mainly because I can't afford my own regs and that's how the club regs are set up :p But it actually makes a fair amount of sense, when you donate with the octo on the right the hose has to bend round in an S shape, whilst this way it doesn't. Obviously it does if you have to use it but reg failure is probably less likely than donation, right?

I expect at some point I'll think about getting a long hose, but I only started diving in summer last year and currently only starting BSAC sports diver level so as you can probably understand I don't have all my gear yet, and I'm sure I've only scraped the tip of the iceberg as to what gear there is out there!

(Oh, also I'm a very poor student!)

---------- Post added January 6th, 2014 at 02:51 AM ----------

Just found this old thread re octopus on the left.

Skippy ;

If you want to go DIR with a rental regulator set, here is a quick way to rig the SPG and then tale it off again when your done.

Get yourself a large bolt snap (stainless steel preferred) and a kids bicycle inner tube (2 1/2inch) diameter. Cut the inner tube in to 1/2 or less cross-section. Loop the bolt snap on to the inner tube, then loop the inner tube around the base of the SPG until tight.

This will let you use a bolt snap on the SPG and them remove it at the end of the dive quickly. When the inner tube section fails simply cut another section and continue.

Don't use that silly hose retainer, we take those off of students whenever they show up at our shop as they are useless. It will simply identify you as a "stroke".

Proper oct and hose configuration only requires 1 bolt snap and an Oct holder if not using a bungie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can think of a few reason why octo and spg shouldn't be on the same clip like that. How often do you look at your sgp vs deploy your octo? I think the former is a lot more often. So everything you look at your spg, you bring along the octo too? or do you un-snap the spg from the clip? If you do the unsnap way, re-attach spg will take two hand.

Since you mention DIR, DIR's gear configuration remains the same for OW dive all the way to technical cave penetration. I bet you won't want that plastic clip in a cave exploration. Also keep in mind, DIR is more than equipment choices, but also a concept and mindset.

I have a quick question on clipping an SPG to a harness. Is there any reason why DIR says to use a bolt snap over say a plastic hose clip? (This is the clip I've got)

I mainly ask because I'll be using a standard octo clipped to my left hip D-ring rather than a long hose or any other configuration, so a plastic 2 hose clip will work well for me to hold my SPG and octo.

Thanks
Hi Skippy,

You will soon discover, when you travel abroad, that most of the world carry their AAS on the right. You rightly state that, for most regs, the hose will be S shaped.

I see many students with both the SPG and AAS being retained, on the left, by one clip like yours. Personally, I wouldn't have them in the same clip, but the important aspect is: can you read your gauge when you want and can your buddy easily remove the AAS when required?

DIR is a dogmatic kit reconfiguration, but as a BSAC diver you don't have to follow it.

I run open water DTP sessions throughout the year, in Loch Fyne.

Kind regards

Last edited:
Those clips quality and ability to retain hoses run from mediocre to "okay". Boltsnaps or Magnetic clips i'd rate much higher,even Velcro and bungee combos do a better job

Back
Top Bottom