Speigel Grove questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
I'm planning on diving it at the end of February, so I'm interested in information on currents, etc.

They are right. It can change on a dime out there and sometimes the final decision takes place at the site. I have been on it 4 times also and have had no current and have had to hang on tight as I looked like a flag in a hurricane. Never know.

I will say that if you are heading down there the Duane and the Eagle are also great wreck dives. Check out the Bullsharks under the Duane. They will scatter when you get down there. Look over the sides or go down and "whisper" in their ear if you like :D . If you get a chance and can find someone going and the conditions are good, do a night dive on the Duane. Its a great dive to hit during the day and then do at night. Whole different program.

definitely recommended! Expect a slight current as there's always been some sort of current on the 4 times I was there. Don't expect too much bottom time.. usually swings around 10 min or so on air and staying above 100' if I remember right. But don't take my word for it.. for a deep and challenging dive like this, you'd be much safer with a computer since Spiegel is essentially an adventure. And when you're on an adventure, it's hard to stick to a strict profile.

It took me the first 3 times to get a "feel" for the structure. I'd suggest spending the first time staying around the mooring line just so you can remember where the mooring line is. It makes the subsequent dives much easier because you've learned where you're supposed to go back to. If you keep diving the back end or the stern of the ship, you'll notice that there are only a couple of mooring lines you have to remember.

If you're not comfortable, it'll be nice if you can buddy up with someone who knows the spiegel well.. but I understand that's not always easy to do.. Spiegel is so huge, you need to know what you're doing, or you'll use up what little bottom time you have. Err, I guess that's why we all go back to the Spiegel eh?

Oh, and a tip that may save you from the current.. current is like the wind. What do you do when a strong gust blows in your face? You hide behind a wall. Use the Spiegel as a wall so you don't get blown directly by the current. It'll save you from having to cling on to the rails.

Like they said above, the Spiegel can be a great dive, but it's deep, with rapidly shifting currents and should be considered an advanced wreck dive. Make sure that you're very comfortable with the depth and can deal with current, navigation, buddy separation, etc. before going. That being said, I've had some amazing dives on the Spiegel and highly recommend it if it's within your range of training and experience.

I agree about getting a computer, though. It can make a big difference on this dive.

Safe ascents,
Grier

I booked my dives this weekend. Going to largo on the 1st of may and will be doing the duane on tues morning and the grove on friday afternoon. Others to be decided when I arrive. But you can bet if there's another trip booked to either I'm on it!

I believe captain Slate's Atlantis has trips to the Spiegel every day (almost). Do the Spiegel several times in a row, and you'll have it memorized in no time. It takes a while to find all the swim throughs. Atleast I haven't found all of them yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom