Speigel Grove questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joed

Reaction score
My buddy wants me to dive the Speigel Grove with him. How deep is the wreak? What is the time allowed for a no decompression dive?
If I use a computer and dive on air, how long can I stay down without long decompression stops?

joed:
My buddy wants me to dive the Speigel Grove with him. How deep is the wreak? What is the time allowed for a no decompression dive?
If I use a computer and dive on air, how long can I stay down without long decompression stops?

I sense a bit of doubt. Never let anyone pressure you into a deep you are not comfortable or prepared for. The SG is considered an advanced dive, both because of depths and the currents often found there. Also it's a very large wreck and you can get "lost" on it and have a hard time finding your ascent line. There are often divers from several different boats on it at the same time so that can be another issue.

Giving you an NDL is a crap shoot without knowing your planned profile. The depth range varies from 130' at the sand to about 70' at the mast. Most of the good stuff (IMO) is around 100'. You really should be diving a computer.

I second the "don't get pressured into a dive you're not sure about" vote. Getting the information about the depth and difficulty level of the dive is a good first step. Unfortunately the rest of your post makes you sound like you don't know how to plan a dive. Once you have the depth you should be able to easily figure out the time for a no-decompression dive using your dive tables or your dive computer if you have one. Hopefully this impression is simply a result of the communication medium.
Ber :lilbunny:

I agree don't do a dive you don't feel confident about. These questions don't add up to your profile information of 500-1000 dives.

Its a big wreck with depths from 70 to 130 like the other poster said. I'm a fairly new diver but my buddy and I dove it, we felt confident about it. We never went deeper than ~75 feet on it - as we had just gone to 100 feet on the Duane and wanted to stay progressively shallower.

I have a computer but I would dive it just on a table - just dive your plan - you should be able to plan a No Deco dive with either.

I was actually there last weekend diving. Most of the stuff you will see is between 80-110 feet. You can go deeper but there is no reason to for the most part. It is HUGE and plan on seeing only about 1/4 of the wreck each time you dive it. Nitrox is the preferred method to diving it because it can increase your bottom time. Air doesn't give you that much time on the deck but coming up a little will help increase your time. I agree that a computer is the way to go here but by all means, dive a profile strictly if you don't use one. It is considered an advanced dive and you may find that most operators will not allow you to dive it without a guide with you which you have to pay for. It is awesome now that it is sitting upright.

I also agree with everyone that if you are not comfortable, don't do it. Don't dive beyond your limits. The conditions there can be perfect to hang on to Toto so having someone there who is experienced, if you are not, is important. And most of all, don't try to penetrate. If conditions are bad, and they were for me last weekend, make a good judgement based upon your abilities.

joed:
I concur will all the previous replies, but just to let you know. The grove now sits upright with the shallowest part of the ship being at ~ 45 feet depending on tide conditions. The current can be unpredictable as well, but this is a true advanced dive. If you don't have the training, equipment, skills and knowledge to do this type of dive I would abort the idea.

Is it an advanced dive mainly because of the depth, or are the currents in that area that bad?

I'm looking forward to getting down there some day!

Its an advance dive for many reasons, Depth, Currents and its a Ship Wreck. The current can be tricky depending on tide. There have been some days where you look like a sheet flying in the wind on the mooring line and some days nothing. Its best to call one of the local dive operations to get a scoop on the conditionsd. I have dove the grove 4 times and each time is a new expierience.

Fish_Whisperer:
I'm planning on diving it at the end of February, so I'm interested in information on currents, etc.

Frank,
How late in Febuary will you be there? Maybe meet up for at very least a handshake.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom