Speech on Constitution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, i'm giving a speech on the Constitution, with emphasis on our obligations, next Sunday. It's for an American Legion Oratorical contest. I've written two speeches that Ididn't like so far, and am wondering if anyone here has any ideas that will really inspire me. It'd be easy to give an informative speech, but the topic pretty vague and that's what's giving me trouble.

All they gave me to work on:

The Prepared Oration must be on some aspect of the Constitution of the United States with emphasis on the duties and obligations of a citizen to our government.

JahJahwarrior:
...with emphasis on the duties and obligations of a citizen to our government.
Sounds like the premise is completely flawed...

The original constitution describes the mechanics of government -- how people are elected, how long they serve, how they are replaced, etc. The first amendments to the constitution were to protect people from their government. Somewhere along the line (if you read all the adopted amendments) amendments went from restricting government to restricting citizens. It's all gone downhill from there...

The original concept of the constitution and its first amendments were to define the duties and obligations of the government to its citizens, not the other way around. And those duties and obligations were basically to stay out of a citizen's way.

The fact that you're writing a paper on the constitution and how it defines "the duties and obligations of a citizen to our government" sends chills down my spine.

Have we lost sight of the founding fathers vision that much?

Roak

They've got you there, there are no duties or obligations to our government placed on citizens by the U.S. Consitution. The Constitution exsits to protect our citizens from abuse by our government. Give it a quick read and you'll see what I mean.

I've read the Constitution at length and fully understand most of it, but couldn't quite figure out why it was so hard to write this speech. Maybe you guy's have nailed it onthe head!

My speech so far has focused on citizen's involvement in government by exercising our rights, such as voting and free speech and right to petition.

JahJahwarrior:
All they gave me to work on:

The Prepared Oration must be on some aspect of the Constitution of the United States with emphasis on the duties and obligations of a citizen to our government.

Take THIS as a ballsy approach: disagree with the premise!

The citizen has NO DUTY OR OBLIGATION to the government whatsoever.

Seriously, look at the preamble of the Constitution:

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

It's all about WE THE PEOPLE!

The government exists to serve WE THE PEOPLE!

The premise of the question is the biggest problem in the U.S. today; that we must serve the government. Disagree with it!

Now I'm sure it was simply an inartfully worded piece of text, but jump on it!

Hell, finish with the ending of the Gettysburg address:

"...that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom--and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

The constitution set it up, and Lincoln kept hammering it home, it's only in the last 50-75 years that we've screwed it up:Citizens don't have duties and obligations to the government; the government has duties and obligations to the citizens.

And it's up to YOU to make it RIGHT!

[Storms out of room to the quiet strains of millions of people humming The Battle Hymnn of the Republic]

I fear that approach, much as I agree with it, given the audience will fall on deaf ears and not advance his goal of obtaining the scholarship award that is the prize.

JahJahwarrior:
I've read the Constitution at length and fully understand most of it, but couldn't quite figure out why it was so hard to write this speech. Maybe you guy's have nailed it onthe head!
Maybe there is hope! :)

Roak

What they want is something like:

Tom Payne:
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

But I prefer:

Henry V:
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

I think you guys have it wrong. It is my belief that the Constitution DOES set forth obligations and responsibilities of the citizens towards the govt -- including, but not limited to:

a. Duty to be informed -- to be a "good citizen" of the US -- that is, to understand the nature of government and what it can do/should do (two different things)

b. Obligation to be involved -- the Constitution defines a large part of the "social contract" among us all -- without involvment by an informed citizenry, the social contract would fall apart

Without an informed and involved citizenry, the USofA would fall apart. What you all seemed to have missed is that WE ARE the United States of America as defined by the Constitution. As such, we have all of the duties and responsibilities of being a citizen -- those duties and responsibilities flowing up to the Govt, down from the Govt and across to all the other citizens.

I think you could make a very nice speech based on that premise.

Yes, they want something like that. It's a bunch of old (70-80) veterans. Id on't care if I winthe national 18K prize, but I think I could win a few hundred locally, and there will only be at most 15 competitors. I'm a good speech giver, I came home with 3 first place trophies at thelast debate tournament, before than two firsts and a second (which most people agreed should have been a first). I'm just really strugging to write this.

If I can get three points, I'm solid. I can work with that. But I'm having trouble with that :)

Here's what I see: "of the people." It's not only for the people, but it's of and by them. It's the of and by that I think I have to somehow focus on. And I have to tie it to the Constitition. And I would love to quote Payne, especially if you all know of any more good sections to quote! And there's always stuff like the Patrick Henry speech I memorized last year for fun....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom